Apparent transcript of Chris Wallace on WEEI

This was posted to the ESPN message boards. Apparently Wallace was on WEEI
today. I'll let the interview speak for itself.

Big O: Paul Gaston had nothing to do with the Baker trade?

CW: My DNA is on that trade. He did not tell me to do this deal?

Big O: You did not have a mandate from the ownership? Did you have any idea
the team was up for sale?

CW: No. No. I was shocked. We got a phone call 2 hours before the
announcement.

Big O: Ok, I apologize to Gaston, no I throw the guns to you. I'm lost how
you think Baker has contributed in any way. I see a guy that is washed up,
what are you seeing?

CW: I'm seeign that our record is the same at this time last year. We've
survived injuires. And Vinny's been one of the guys that's helped hold the
fort.

Big O: How can you say that? Walter and Grant Long have been more valuable.
Why has Jim O'Brien reduced his minutes then?

CW: I don;t know if you have the facts right. Baker's minutes have never
been above 20 min.

Felger: Are you surprised at the negative reaction of Baker?

CW: I knew he was gonna be a potential souce of controversy (due to his
contract and problems in Seatlle).

Big O: (Sighs) When you acquired him, and knew he'd be the highest paid
player, you'd expect him to be at least the 3rd most productive player...
AND be a low post presence... where has that been?

CW: He's had his moments. He's shooting 50%.

Big O: Didn't you expect him to be the third wheel?

CW: Well I wouldn;t say that, Tony Battie has stepped up.

Big O: I know, but I'm not complaining about them...

If you're getting this out of baker in year one, aren;t you fearful, you'll
get less out of him next year?

CW: That's a difficult road to go down, because players today are training
more in the offseason now than they ever had/ For example, Tony Delk is
playing better this year than last year. Same thign with Kenny Anderson.

Big O: But Baker has been going downward for 3 years.

CW: He had his moments last year in the playoffs.

Felger: Do you think they aren;t calling enough plays for him?

CW: I wouldn;t say that. We have a lot of weapons. I think Jim has done a
good job with him.

Big O: Walton talked about his athletic skills have diminished. What do you
think...

CW: Keep in mind one thing about vinny... he was never considered a superior
athlete. Even in his "Salad Days." He's never been considered a great
athlete.

Big O: Let me talk about the window of opportunity with Paul and Antoine...
Thye still need more to get to that next level. They did well last year. Are
you nto fearful now, with Baker as your 3rd high priced guy that you won;t
have the resources you need to get guys?

Felger: Have you gotten any indication from the new ownership to go over the
luxury tax?

CW: We're going to be a taxpayer this year along with 17 and 18 other teams.
Our ownership wants to put a championship team on the floor, but while being
fiscally responsible. That's no different from 18-20 other teams. I don;t
see where Baker has put enormous handcuff on us in the future... cause if
Kenny Anderson had stayed here people think we would have had lots of money
under the cap.

Once we signed Pierce & Walker to max contracts, that meant we were never
going to be major players in the free agent market.

Baker is not costing us anyone who is going ot be a major contributor. I
don't think we;re really handcuffed.

Big O: Ok, how do you get better, based on what you just told me?

CW: Two ways... 1) Internally, with Tony Battie improving, (never mentioned
#2).

Big O: You clearly need a point guard right?

CW: I don't think so. I'm happy with the improvements of BRemer and Delk

Big O: Talk about the 2001 draft...

CW: It's too early to say if our picks were mistakes. You need to ait 3-4
years to evaluate a draft. Those guys (tinsley, parker) are ahead of Forte i
nterms of development. I think Joe needs some playing time to develop more.