RE: All-star madness

From : "Berry, Mark  S" < berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx >

Kestas is right about all of this, and he doesn't need a lot of stats to
back it up. Only the most ardent Antoine fans can argue that the guy doesn't
take too many 3-pointers. It's GLARINGLY obvious.
[sarcasm] Nope, all those stats and evidence and such only get in the the way. I'm much more interested in the subjective impressions of people I don't even know. All this discourse that relies on evidence to convince the audience is a bunch of hoo-hah. [/sarcasm]

I'm glad for Kestas that he knows this and uses some evidence in his posts. He made some good points, but erred, I believe, in implying that, because the numbers of shots made in the competition were similar to shots made in actual games, there was a correlation. This isn't necessarily the case, though the numbers imply that there are. And, it is possible that there is a correlation, it just can't be assumed. I think that the 3-point competition and actual games are different enough.

But what you have to realize, Mark, is that no one is actually saying that Antoine Walker shouldn't take less threes. Cecil said as much a few posts ago, and I'm not sure who you're trying to convince. I'm not particularly against the three, but I would like to see more of a mid-range game from most of our guys. And hey, Antoine seems to be much more dextrous in the paint recently, so I'm open to that, as well. I'd like to see Walker take 4-6 threes a game. Pierce maybe more.

Oh, and I also think that Paul Gaston should be destroyed.

Bird