Will Someone Explain??

>I know this has been hashed over much but I haven't been paying attention.
>After a fantastic season why did we trade away an advantage situation. I
can
>see Kenny, I'm not sure he could hold up as a starter again with big
minutes.

>We seemingly took a big step backwards. We have some new talent but they
are
>green. Baker at 50k's plus trade is inexcusable.

>So what's the reason, money and Gaston making the bottom line look better?
or
>what??

>DanF

Well my opinion FWIW, is that they didn't think they could get anything for
Anderson after the sale was made public due to many of the other teams
taking advantage of us in most trades and so little interest in Anderson
league wide.  The Sonics were a perfect trade partner due to the problems
with the glove and their desire to shed Baker.  The Celtics needed to move
Anderson and preserve his salary "slot" so it can be used again in the
future.

It also, on paper, gives them a guy who can play center in the east and give
them some flexibility in the rotation.  If Baker works out it gives them
three potential All Stars and a real shot, as well a someone to step in in
the event of injury to Battie or Walker. Baker should be an upgrade at that
over a non-playing VP due to his injury and giving up on Blount.

It was a gamble but one with upside if it works out.  If it doesn't work out
you have a salary slot and two draft picks to include in a trade for someone
else's big contract guy on a soon-to-be rebuilding team with the big free
agent shuffle this trade deadline/summer.

If it "sort of" works out they have the big salary slot to use in a couple
years (ending contract)when they will "really" need that third big time guy
as the Captains will be entering their peak as players.

So the question really is....  could they have traded Anderson for a player
making the same $ as Anderson/Baker who would be a better risk then Baker.
I don't know but I assume not or they would have.

I think that Wallace/Pitino tried to get S. Williams a couple years ago so
that may have weighed into the risk assessment.

I am keeping an open mind about the trade until at least the All Star break
and see how OB's tough love program works.  I feel that the Celtics are a
couple years away from contending for a ring anyway so I don't see it as a
bad gamble.  Kind of like giving up a Bishop now to set up to take a Queen a
couple moves later.  Doesn't always work.  But when it does....

Hope that helps show one persons view.

<Jim