Re: Walker/Garnett?

Joe H. wrote:

People tend to overlook or trivialize his production for
the one glaring stat (FG%).

--- end ---

This is the problem with every debate we all have on Antoine. People (me
included) tend to dig into their positions and ignore significant parts of
the argument. The "Antoine is an all-star and borderline MVP candidate"
crowd completely ignore the horrendous field goal percentage, terrible shot
selection and inability to get to the free throw line. The "Antoine is an
overrated, often selfish gunner crowd" (I was a charter member, but have
softened somewhat) zero in on the inefficient offense and bonehead decisions
and ignore all the good things he does. I've come to the conclusion that the
truth lies somewhere in between. There are times when I watch him and he
does things that make me think "there aren't five other players in the NBA
who could do that." Then in the next moment he does something that makes me
think "there aren't five players in the NBA who would do something that
stupid." He embodies the best and worst qualities of the modern NBA player.
I can honestly say that the most frustrating thing for me is knowing he's
capable of being a great player, but so often-completely of his own
choosing-he is just good or less than that.

I give Antoine credit for evolving into a fierce competitor and team leader.
He hasn't always been either of those things. He's fearless. There's a lot
to like and a lot to dislike. That's just Antoine. How you feel about him is
all a matter of perspective.

Mark