Re: Vecsey: Celts budget likely to prevent resigning Rogers

At 09:36 AM 5/31/02 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
This blurb buried in Peter Vecsey's latest column ruined the warm and fuzzy
feeling I was having after the Omar Cook story:

There are depressing indications Boston's uncompromising budget will
prohibit Rodney Rogers from being re-signed for more than the $1 million
veteran's exception. No way his vital services are retained if that's the
highest owner Paul Gaston allows management to bid. ...

<end>
Yeah, but look at the source. It's Vescey, who's a New Yorker who has always gone out of his way to push any story that makes Boston look bad (I'm not into huge conspiracy theories, but certainly individuals can and do show their biases) at the same time that I believe the Knicks are one of the teams that are reported to have some interest in him if he does go FA. Vescey isn't below putting stories out with the idea that they'll get back to Rodney to encourage the thought that the Cs don't really love him enough, no matter what they actually tell him.

It's pretty clear that the Cs aren't going to break the bank over him because of the luxury tax situation. And I've got to admit that he's looked a step slow on defense and going after the ball often enough (MOVE dammit, Rodney, MOVE) -especially in the playoffs- that I have mixed emotions about that anyway. But that doesn't mean they won't re-sign him or that it's true they'll only offer the minimum exemption they can.

Kim