Re: Vecsey: Celts budget likely to prevent resigning Rogers

No long term contract for short term solutions.. The veteran exception
is
about 4 million.  Give RR 2 yrs at that number and lets look for a player
who can really help deliver number 17.

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Kim Malo wrote:

> At 09:36 AM 5/31/02 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
> >This blurb buried in Peter Vecsey's latest column ruined the warm and fuzzy
> >feeling I was having after the Omar Cook story:
> >
> >There are depressing indications Boston's uncompromising budget will
> >prohibit Rodney Rogers from being re-signed for more than the $1 million
> >veteran's exception. No way his vital services are retained if that's the
> >highest owner Paul Gaston allows management to bid. ...
> >
> ><end>
>
> Yeah, but look at the source. It's Vescey, who's a New Yorker who has
> always gone out of his way to push any story that makes Boston look bad
> (I'm not into huge conspiracy theories, but certainly individuals can and
> do show their biases) at the same time that I believe the Knicks are one of
> the teams that are reported to have some interest in him if he does go FA.
> Vescey isn't below putting stories out with the idea that they'll get back
> to Rodney to encourage the thought that the Cs don't really love him
> enough, no matter what they actually tell him.
>
> It's pretty clear that the Cs aren't going to break the bank over him
> because of the luxury tax situation. And I've got to admit that he's looked
> a step slow on defense and going after the ball often enough (MOVE dammit,
> Rodney, MOVE) -especially in the playoffs- that I have mixed emotions about
> that anyway. But that doesn't mean they won't re-sign him or that it's true
> they'll only offer the minimum exemption they can.
>
> Kim

	  Dave Wickerham
	  aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu
	  Saratoga Springs, NY