Re: Baker versus Rogers

At 07:56 AM 7/19/02 -0700, John Spindler wrote:
The best trades are the ones that make both teams
better.  I don't see how this trade makes either team
better, unless Boston knows something about Vin Baker
that nobody else does.  Can he replace Rogers
positionally? Yes. Is his game similar? No.
Yeah, but that's not necessarily a disadvantage. Should be a be brainer that we've a greater need for what Vinnie's game theoretically gives us -aka inside- than Rodgers' mostly outside offense and willing, but a tad slow and undersized defense. I just wish I had better faith in Vinnie providing it.

Simple math, luxury tax not withstanding:

Anderson-$9m remaining
VP-$15m remaining (a guess here, does anyone know?)
Total gaurunteed: $24M

Baker-$50M remaining

Am I missing something? Can't we sign Rogers for 3-4
years at at average of 6M$ and still be in the same
spot financially?
Nope, because you really have to look at likely year to year effect rather than summing up the life of the contract to see the impact. The overall impact of contract A is affected by other player contracts, cap level, etc and those will be changing year to year as well. I'm not so sure we want to sign Rodney for that long anyway.

Sigh. Wish I knew for sure how much of this is all hot air and one news resource going on about it because others are and they don't want to look out of the know vs having any real bearing in reality.

Kim