Baker versus Rogers

This whole thing makes absolutely no sense at all.
How is it that we can take on a 4 year veteran
contract starting at 12 million, but only offer Rogers
1 million for a year in order to avoid the luxury tax?
The rules make absolutely no sense at all.

I checked out the websites of both Seattle papers this
morning, and they had stories on the trade. The
perspective from the Seattle side is that the Sonics
are losing thier best rebounder and low post presence,
while gaining a veteran backup to Payton and third
string backup center. Only makes sense from the
Seattle side if they plan to move Payton for young
talent.

It is also interesting to go to NBA.com and compare
Rodney to Baker: same age, similar production but
Baker averages 20% more minutes per game to get that
production.  He also is strictly an inside player, no
3 point shot to speak of, and a much poorer free throw
shooter.

The best trades are the ones that make both teams
better.  I don't see how this trade makes either team
better, unless Boston knows something about Vin Baker
that nobody else does.  Can he replace Rogers
positionally? Yes. Is his game similar? No.

Simple math, luxury tax not withstanding:

Anderson-$9m remaining
VP-$15m remaining (a guess here, does anyone know?)
Total gaurunteed: $24M

Baker-$50M remaining

Am I missing something? Can't we sign Rogers for 3-4
years at at average of 6M$ and still be in the same
spot financially? Nobody even knows if the luxury tax
will be in effect next year. Also, Kenny will bring
value from some team looking for his end of term
contract by the February deadline.  If that same team
needs a backup center, then they take VP along with
it.

The deal just doesn't make sense. If Baker tanks, it
will be a public relations disaster.  If Baker
recovers, he is at best going to give you similar
production as Rogers, while pulling down money similar
to the captains.  Go figure.
http://autos.yahoo.com