Deal for Vin Baker imminent

>From ESPN...

SEATTLE -- The <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sea";>Seattle SuperSonics</A> are close to completing a trade that would
send forward <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=1279";>Vin Baker</A> to the <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos";>Boston Celtics</A> for guard <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=393";>Kenny Anderson</A> and
center <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3106";>Vitaly Potapenko</A>, according to a report in Friday's editions of The
Seattle Times.

    Anderson

    Baker

The teams have been talking for more than a week, with talks heating up in
the past two days, according to the report. Sources close to the deal
reportedly believe the two sides could reach an agreement as early as this
weekend.

The Boston Herald and Boston Globe both also reported the deal is in the
works, with the Herald reporting that Seattle is Seattle is interested in
Eric Williams instead of Potapenko.

Additional players, including Boston's <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3535";>Joseph Forte</A> and Seattle's <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3277";>Shammond
Williams</A>, might be included, but the deal would work financially without
them. Seattle has been looking for a taker for power forward Baker since
shortly after signing him to an $86 million, seven-year contract in 1999.
During the 2000-01 season, Baker averaged career lows in scoring (12.2
points) and rebounding (5.7), making him a target for fan criticism.

"I've heard the rumor, and we'll try to investigate as much as we're able,
but there's only so much we can do," Baker's agent, Eric Goodwin, told the
Times. "It's an interesting move. It would definitely be a positive move for
Vin and give him a fresh start on a team that's going in the right direction.
We'll just have to watch and see if it actually gets done."

Baker missed 17 games last season because of a three dislocated toes, and
then struggled during the season's final 15 games. The Sonics posted a 19-8
record without Baker during the regular season.

The Celtics would bank that a return to the Eastern Conference would perk up
Baker's sagging game and spirits. Boston is also much closer to Baker's
family home in Connecticut. He would give the Celtics some much-needed size
in the post.

Anderson, who turns 32 in October, would probably back up Sonics point guard <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=259";>
Gary Payton</A>, making second-year pro free agent <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3549";>Earl Watson</A> expendable.

The 27-year-old Potapenko, a 6-10, 285-pounder, would have difficulty finding
playing time with the Sonics, who re-signed <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3279";>Jerome James</A> on Thursday, giving
them three centers already in James, <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3358";>Calvin Booth</A> and <A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3216";>Predrag Drobnjak</A>.