Re: a Basketball game broke out yesterday...

At 04:17 PM 1/13/02 -0500, Dan Forant wrote:
>It's called a sucker punch in the profession.

In the boxing profession, maybe.

>I don't think it's thuggery
>fouling a dummy that can't shoot foul shots, it's smart basketball.

No, it's not.  But wrapping your upper body around him and going for a drag
to the basket IS.  Based on what I saw, the second happened there, not the
first.  I might add that up to that point people had managed to foul him
without committing a flagrant.

>Shaq
>will get the worst of it, a fine and suspension. In fact if Shaq did connect
>and did do damage, a civil suit would probably have followed. In the court
>room for all to see, a sucker punch being thrown.

No, TWO punches--and he got up from the floor and followed a man from
behind who was walking AWAY from him.  "A" suspension should last at least
five games, preferably more if the NBA wants to be taken seriously about
flagrant fouls and unwarranted assaults.

>Do I recall M.L. Carr
>being a hit man for the Celts???

Do I recall M.L. being over seven feet tall and weighing over 300lbs?

Sorry, Dan, but we disagree here (he said, stating the obvious). :>))

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle