More on the fight...

I just read something interesting about the felony Shaq committed the other
night.  The reason Brad Miller's uniform top came off in the fight was the
referee tore it off him--because Shaq was throttling him with it.

This goes way beyond any question of "self-defense".  That, in many cases,
is literally described as attempted murder.

While I agree that Shaq--as well as Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker, to name
a few--can be subjected to what can honestly be called flagrant fouls with
no attendant free throws, I don't see anyone else feeling the need to
rearrange significant portions of someone's anatomy for doing so.

I know some people may feel that tough play is part of the game--and I
agree.  Sometimes we forget that it's basketball not ballet.  But it's not
brawling, either.  The officiating has, this whole year, been largely
suspect, in my view, and this is one more example of it.

However, I disagree with LA coach Phil Jackson blaming them solely, saying
they didn't get the players to exercise restraint.  What about the coach
himself getting his own players to cool off?  If Shaq was getting hammered
and getting mad about it, why not sit him down a few minutes to cool him
off?  At that point, everyone expected LA to stuff the Bulls.  I think the
league is going to take the view that they do not want one of their
superstar players to end up being compared unfavorably to a professional
football player.  Shaq will sit maybe 5 games.  Ten, if the League feels
the heat.  No more--even though Shaq certainly ought to be sitting a lot
longer, as I've stated previously.

I worry about how this will affect Boston.  If the League slaps Shaq on the
wrist, then Shaq will continue parking under the net and lowering his
shoulder into anyone going to the basket--which, despite some jokes to the
contrary, the Celtics ARE doing much more often these days.  Anybody want
to speculate how much we start appreciating Vitaly and Tony if the end up
injured and unable to give us even a "center by committee"?

I think we need to realize that this not only will affect what is done TO
Shaq, but will likely broaden the limits of what Shaq can do to other
players.  He, and all the supporters in La-La land and at the marketing
division of the NBA will intercede on Shaq's behalf, and someone will
nominate him for sainthood.  People will point out, accurately, that Oakley
has a reputation for very hard fouls--while burying the fact that it was
Miller that nearly ended up on a liquid diet for an extended time.  This
will die the minute people realize that ratings will drop if Shaq is out
for any extended period of time.  They'll try to substitute a bigger fine
and a public apology from Shaq for the punishment he deserves.  And
everything will go back to business as usual in the NBA.

Until next time.