a Basketball game broke out yesterday...

You've all heard the old saw--usually in reference to hockey games (exhibit
A: Yesterday's Philly/NYR game, where the first fight started in the
pregame skate).

Now, we have thuggery going on in the NBA.  Not that this is anything new,
as anyone who remembers Bill Laimbeer's playing days knows all to
well.  But last night it went to an all time low in Chicago.

Late in the game, Chicago, playing against the Lakers, was practicing it's
usual form of defense against Shaq--foul him and watch him miss from the
line.  Shaq is not the only recipient of this kind of defensive strategy,
but the problem is magnified given his sheer size--you can't just "nudge"
him while he takes his shot, he wouldn't notice it as he slammed the ball
through the hoop.

But this time, it was really bad.  Brad Miller of Chicago wrapped his arms
around Shaq's shoulder, near his neck, sot of hanging on for dear
life.  Yes, a flagrant foul, and even Shaq will slow down while dragging a
couple hundred pounds off his shooting arm.  But then Charles Oakley
literally jumped on Shaq's back, apparently forgetting this was basketball
and not football.

Needless to say, the flagrant foul was being called, but Shaq shrugged the
people off, and lurched after Miller, who was walking away.  Shaq proceeded
to unlimber two roundhouse punches to the back of Miller's head.  Two
Chicago players made a flying tackle and brought Shaq down on top of
Miller, and the fight was on.  It took several minutes to sort things out,
during which Time Rick Fox started harassing the refs and was promptly
booted.  Shaq, Miller, and Oakley were also tossed.

In the past, I've been of a mind to say, "If Shaq doesn't want to be fouled
so often, then he should make his free throws more than once a year."  Paul
Pierce takes a beating under the basket, too, but he sinks his shots, so
fouling him is not a smart percentage play the way it is against Shaq.

But there's a difference between a hard foul and a flagrant one--no matter
what I think of the Lakers, I'm not in favor of anyone getting deliberately
hurt, that's why they have the flagrant foul rules.  There should be a
clear line and Miller crossed it.  Oakley did nothing but make matters worse.

But hard fouls or not, there's no excuse to come up swinging, much less
doing so from behind.  He could have crippled or killed Miller had Miller
not moved his head slightly to clear the cobwebs, inadvertently denying
Shaq a solid punch.  Anywhere but on the court (or ice, if applicable),
Shaq's actions were aggravated assault and battery at the least.  I
wouldn't have had him ejected, I'd have called the police.

Suspending Shaq does little harm to the Lakers, as with Kobe Bryant they're
a lock for the playoffs even if they keep goofing off.  A fine of anything
less then seven figures won't even dent his bank account.

But a clear message has to be sent--this is not acceptable.  Do this and
you will suffer appropriately serious consequences.  I don't want to wait
until someone gets seriously injured or killed in an NBA game before action
is taken.

Shaq should be ejected for the season and Oakley as well.  I personally
think Shaq SHOULD be arrested and charged, probably Oakley too, but I know
that won't happen.  Both should forfeit the year's salary and be required
to take anger management courses, and do public service announcements
against the use of violence.  ALL NBA teams should be clearly told that the
difference between a foul and flagrant foul will be closely scrutinized and
serious punishment meted out to violators.

Think it couldn't happen here?  Think again.  Let's not wait for the
Celtics or any other team to fall victim to thuggery, theirs or anyone else's.