RE: A loss is a loss is a...(Antoine)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com] On Behalf
Of JB
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 6:11 AM
To: Celtics Stuff; Celtics@igtc.com
Subject: A loss is a loss is a...

   "Walker also was limping badly. He says he twisted it and needs an
MRI. Was it my imagination, or did it seem to me that he was
exaggerating it for the fans, as if to gain sympathy? I hope he isn't
really hurt."

I don't get this...If Paul is limping around on the court, (Which he's
done many times) he's a "Warrior". Antoine does it, and he's
"exaggerating" to try to get "sympathy" from the fans.

I saw him out there, barely able to move, still hustling out, Jumping
out to cover the pick and roll, with no lateral movement really. This
could be a bad sign. I'm sitting there thinking, god, I hope it's not
the ACL...An ACL can just seem "Sore" and you can even continue to play
on it for a time.

I wonder if the attitude towards 'Toine would change if it turned out he
played over a quarter of a game with a torn ACL...

"exaggerating"    *shaking head*

Sorry JB, but this, combined with that hatchet job on 'Toine in the
Sporting News yesterday has me boiling over. Sure, Antoine's made
mistakes in his career, said some dumb things, takes a lot of bad shots,
(I still say, who else besides Pierce should be taking them?) has no
doubt made enemies in the league, (which I actually find refreshing in
this era of QB's laying down to help an opponent set a sack record) but
of course the writer of the article didn't finish the quotes by
Hardaway, just placed the inflammatory ones in his article. I just don't
get why this kid is so reviled here. Consider:

Competitiveness is a *good* thing. He wants to win, badly.

He's improved areas of his game. Remember his Shaq-like free throw
shooting his second year? How about rebounding this year? How about how
he talks to the refs now? Anyone noticed that? He actually seems to be
working to develop relationships with them, talks calmly with them now
for the most part.

Selfish? The guy averages 5 assists a game from the PF spot, is the only
one on the team capable of knowing where Paul should get the ball to be
most effective.

He has not got a single tattoo as far as I can see...How many NBA
players can you say that about? (Paul also doesn't have any)

He is as involved in the community and helping others as much as ANY
professional athlete.

He's got a strong commitment and loyalty to his family. Takes care of
all of them, as far as I know.

What's his arrest record? Drugs? DWI?

Durable? I think he might be the most durable player in the NBA, plays
the most minutes in the league.(Not bad for someone who's always "out of
shape") The only games he's missed in his career were some with a severe
ankle sprain during the lockout season, and last year he missed one game
to attend the funeral of his grandmother.

Did you read any of these things in that article? No. You read how
unlovable he is. You read how others in the NBA hate him. Here, you read
about him "exaggerating" an injury to get sympathy from the fans. Now,
I'm also realistic about him, he's got more improvements to make on his
game, he also isn't on my opinion, someone who can single-handedly bring
a team to the title. He's probably best as a third scorer, and racking
up the rebounds, assists and steals. Right now there's only Pierce on
this team to score other than him.

Someday, this kid is going to be on an NBA champion. I sure hope it's
here.