Re: Saturday Hawk Game

Its not just a bad game, its a bad mentality.  The Hawks shot a tremendous
persentage because the Celtics never dug in on defense.  The worst
offenders were Paul Antoine, and Tony Battie.  The Celtic mentality is,
"don't worry, we'll just outscore them.  That kind of thinking gets you a
mediocre record and no chance to win a playoff game.

JMO.

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, bird wrote:

> On Sunday, November 18, 2001, at 06:35 PM, David A Wickerham wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, bird wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, that was some game.  I didn't think the Celtics played all that
> >> badly, though, aside from the woeful defense (Hawks shot 58%) and lack of
> >> rebounding (50-38).  Of course, that was enough to do it.  One of the
> >> keys
> >
> > That's like saying that the Titanic had a great trip, other than the
> > iceberg.  When the Knicks were a top team, nobody scored 100 points on
> > them.  Until we get that mentality too, we're doomed to be a second tier
> > team.  This game was a bitter pill to swallow and I saw no redeeming
> > features!
>
> No, it wasn't analogous to the Titanic -- if it was it would mean the end
> of the season.  It was just one game.  I won't say it was a "moral victory"
>   or something like that, but I will say that last year's team would have
> folded at some point when it became "obvious" that they wouldn't win.
> This team didn't.  Maybe you don't see that as a positive; I do.
>
> (The Celtic "Tird")
>
> P.S. "Doomed"?  A Titanic reference?  Even the "bitter pill to swallow"
> cliche?  The drama quotient on the list just jumped sky high.

	  Dave Wickerham
	  aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu
	  Saratoga Springs, NY