Re: Saturday Hawk Game

On Sunday, November 18, 2001, at 06:35 PM, David A Wickerham wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, bird wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that was some game.  I didn't think the Celtics played all that
>> badly, though, aside from the woeful defense (Hawks shot 58%) and lack of
>> rebounding (50-38).  Of course, that was enough to do it.  One of the
>> keys
>
> That's like saying that the Titanic had a great trip, other than the
> iceberg.  When the Knicks were a top team, nobody scored 100 points on
> them.  Until we get that mentality too, we're doomed to be a second tier
> team.  This game was a bitter pill to swallow and I saw no redeeming
> features!

No, it wasn't analogous to the Titanic -- if it was it would mean the end
of the season.  It was just one game.  I won't say it was a "moral victory"
  or something like that, but I will say that last year's team would have
folded at some point when it became "obvious" that they wouldn't win.
This team didn't.  Maybe you don't see that as a positive; I do.

(The Celtic "Tird")

P.S. "Doomed"?  A Titanic reference?  Even the "bitter pill to swallow"
cliche?  The drama quotient on the list just jumped sky high.