Zach, Hunter and Tractor

At 14:27 13/06/01 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
>I thought the same thing Joe, when I saw that report about Randolph. I'd
>love to see him there at 21, but I'll be shocked. Big, nimble, talented
>power forwards just don't last long, even if they are a little overweight.
>But we can always hope. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if the Celts took
>Randolph at 11; at 21, I'd be giddy.

I think there may be a lesson somewhere in the Zach Randolph, Steven Hunter
and Tractor Traylor stories. The latter two went all out to get into easily
the best shape of their careers in the months and weeks preceding the draft.

Traylor of course got drafted too high, because he showed great hands and a
great upside if he could stay in shape. Zach Randolph may get drafted too
low, despite showing great hands and a great upside if he could get in
shape. All that, or much of it, is based on two months of post-March
preparation (or lack of preparation) for the NBA draft physicals and workouts.

Now take a guy like Steven Hunter. I think you have the clearest example
(more than Traylor, more even than Moiso believe it or not) of a "workout
warrior". Hunter did nothing in two college seasons. At Moody camp, despite
the hype, Hunter finished with a grand total of 33 points and 9 rebounds in
all the scrimmages mostly against undraftable big men.  To put that in
perspective, NBATalk reports that Sam Clancy pulled down 28 boards to lead
a parade of big guys that put up better numbers on the actual basketball
court than Hunter (Scalabrine, Michael Wright etc.). Pointguard Jerryl
Sasser had 13 boards, swingman Sean Lampley 16 boards. He was outscored by
guys you may never hear from again (Wright, Phillips, Evans, Armstrong,
Gregory, Scalabrine...).

All I can hope for is that Hunter gets drafted between the 12th and 20th
picks. This would only further deepen the pool of real basketball players
when the clock goes back on for Boston with the #21 pick. Hey, we've
already got "crouching poodle" on our roster. Poodle Boy's college stats at
UCLA frankly look more like Lew Alcinder's when compared to Steven Hunter's
stats at underachieving DePaul during these past two years. You've got to
have game, it isn't a track meet.

Joe

p.s. The news, if true, that Steven Hunter schooled Tyson Chandler in an
individual workout a few weeks back makes me a bit wary of the Chicken Man
as well. When has Tyson ever NOT disappointed against a player of a similar
size (Diop, Curry etc.)? Papile seems to think the world of him though.

p.p.s. Apropos the surprising depth of this draft that Mark speaks of, I
bet there are a lot of scouts a few years ago that would have gladly
drafted Troy Murphy ahead of Wally Szcerbiak or Austin Croshere. Murphy
just seems like a far better overall prospect, and his perceived weaknesses
are no worse than those of the other two guys. But if Boston took him at
#11 many would view it as a reach, because he doesn't project as a possible
future All Star compared to some other guys projected to be there. That's
how good this draft could be. With all due respect, I don't think we should
be trading the picks away for veterans.

----