Re: Was... Now Kidd ,Battie, Herren.

Hi Bird man.  You said:
>...I understand your point of view, but it all boils down to the
>fact that you seem to want kids in general to emulate pro athletes.
>I wouldn't want kids to do that, at all.  If they need "role models",
>what's the matter with their parents, or teachers, or major (or even
>minor) figures in history (like Einstein, Martin Luther King, Gandhi,
>et al.)?  Seems to me that there are a lot more deserving people to
>emulate than a pro athlete.  I concur with Charles Barkley in his
>famous statement about being a role model.  Maybe athletes could be
>role models for sports (and not their private lives), and in that
>sense, Jason Kidd is an excellent role model for basketball players.

No I don't necessarily want kids to emulate pro athletes.  Pro athletes do.
The NBA does, the NFL does, "Pro" wrestling does, Nike does, McDonalds does
etc...

But why would we want children or anyone exposed to people who behave like
this?  They don't show the games after the kids are in bed they market to
the kids.

Let me explain my thought process.  The pro athlete gets paid to play pro
sports because they are paid as "entertainers".  That is all they are. They
get paid based on how many "eyes" with money they draw to the event.  If the
"fans" don't want to watch the player, he's not going to get paid to play.

They get endorsement contracts worth $X based on how much of an increase in
sales their involvement brings.

Ie. How many people will emulate the Pro athlete by buying the product
he/she is endorsing?

Does anyone think that a pro athlete, who is taking care of his body,
actually eats at McDonalds or even goes there in person?  Yet LB and Hill
get paid for pushing this unhealthy product on the public.  If cigarette
companies could advertise, these players would line up to endorse that
product as well, as they have in the past.

All that said, screw them.  Either step up and "be" the entertainment person
we want to see or want our kids exposed to or go find another job.

The US has been Clintonized to the point that nobody seem to think they are
accountable for their behavior.  Barkley's statement just shows how stupid
some fans have become in accepting that attitude. (No offense directed to
you)  These players are public figures by their own design and as such they
are accountable for their behavior.

These players are not animals they are human, capable of thinking, making
decisions and being accountable for their actions.  If we accept poor
behavior on or off the court from anyone that is our failure as parents and
as people.

Don't be mistaken, we the fans own the NBA, NFL etc...  Without our money
they don't exist.  These pro leagues are losing paying customers (Except
"Pro" wrestling which says a lot).  They are in trouble. (The NFL has
cleaned up it's act quite a bit considering the number of players involved
by making the contracts voidable. Imagine if the NBA and MLB did that)

In Boston the Celtics can't even get customers with tickets to come to the
games.  Think about that.  A customer has paid $144.00 for two tickets and
not only doesn't go but can't even give the tickets away.  It is happening
all over the NBA etc...

If we as fans say "Enough" if will change.

I don't believe that I should have to tell a child that he/she shouldn't
want to wear a number X jersey or pretend they are "this player" in the back
yard because they are a wife beater, hate monger, criminal, drug addict
etc...

Sports help kids learn to operate within a team framework.  This is a lesson
that is needed in life.  How to participate in a society where you the
individual are but part of the whole.  (A reflection on some of those who
have been on this list)  If certain pro athletes/entertainers don't want to
participate in that "lesson" there are other jobs they can get.

>Maybe athletes could be role models for sports (and not their private lives),
>and in that sense, Jason Kidd is an excellent role model for basketball
>players.

What, if you can pass this object to someone better then someone else can it
is OK to punch defenseless people or pull guns on them or rape or kill them
or ... what?  Where do you draw the line and say that the persons behavior
is reprehensible and as such you don't want to pay to see them anymore?

OJ was a better football player then most any player in the NBA today will
ever be as a basketball player.  He wasn't found guilty of any criminal
behavior.  You want your kid wearing his jersey?

Sorry for the rant, but if we the paying customer demand more accountability
of the team ownership for the performers they hire to entertain us they may
demand accountability of the players.  Those who refuse to be accountable
won't be in the league and won't influence your kids that it's OK to beat
their wife when they grow up.

Don't kid yourself.  Everyone your kid comes in contact with whether in
person or on the tube will influence them in some way.  You can try to teach
them that a certain action is unacceptable behavior.  But if you go out and
spend $144.00 on tickets to take your child to a game and cheer for someone
who has just been arrested for that very same "unacceptable behavior" what
are you really teaching them with your actions?  That is why Barkley's
statement is stupid.

<Jim