Re: Yes Paul, but...

I don't think that is the point here.

The point, I think, is that some folks on this list "know" Walker can play a
certain way.  When he doesn't play that way they are disappointed in him.
Many fans are used to Celtics players playing for the benefit of the team as
a whole.  All the time.

Walker has made much progress so far this year.  Coming into camp in shape
has added a number of wins as was projected it would.  The team is winning
and with Pierce's game moving up a notch (remember he is a couple years
behind Walker) and Williams seeming to get over his knee surgery finally,
Anderson coming into camp in shape (he's playing for his next contract
remember)  and JJ, Battie, VP, Strickland all contributing like NBA players,
it's fun to watch.

As far a Pierce and Walker comparisons go they play different positions. The
SF/SG are usually outside shooters/rebounders.  The PF is usually inside
where he can get rebounds/tip-ins from around the basket.  Remember how the
opposing teams could defend us when Mercer was shooting from just inside the
3 Pt line?  The paint would get jammed up.  Now with Pierce outside it
spreads the floor.

When Walker plays inside he opens the parameter for the others throughout
the game as well as for himself.  He gets time to set his feet when the
defender is expecting him to drive.  He has an opportunity to rebound the
misses that are close to the basket which helps our rebound challenged
centers.  The "outside" rebounds that he more typically gets when he plays
outside are picked up by the PG, SG or SF player so we don't "lose" his
outside rebounds but we do "gain" his inside rebounds and tip ins.  The
total team rebounds should be higher with Walker playing inside. (Can anyone
comment on if that is true so far this year?) Plus, it allows everyone else
to play their natural position which allows them to contribute to their best
ability.  Which this team also needs.

I don't see why some list members should be admonished for wanting Walker to
play up to his potential every night.  It's not like this team is going to
win anyway if he doesn't.  The team is a work in progress.  To move into the
playoffs it can probably stay the Antoine and Paul show.  To move into a
championship level it will require Walker and Pierce to make the other
teammates as effective as they can be.  To find their strengths and play to
that.  Walker's and Pierce's skills allow them to do that.  Look at the
difference when Battie and VP combine for a double double.  The whole needs
to be better then the parts.  That's why it's called a team sport.

<Jim

ktoreed said:

Mark, I suggest you purchase NBA LIVE 2001 by EA
Sports.  That way, you can regulate every little thing
in Toine's game so it's just the way you like it.

0 for 11 is rather pathetic, but Coach gives his
blessing.  Also, Pierce shoots a mere 3% higher than
Antoine, doesn't rebound nearly as much or pass as
well, yet remains unscathed from your criticism.
Antoine isn't going to get a triple double every
night.  If he could, then he'd be the greatest in the
NBA, ever.

Jim Hill
mailto:jahill@leasingservice.com
800-451-6567 Voice/Fax 866-571-3921