Re: The answer on the Philly pick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Berry, Mark S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>

> Well, Shira's use of the word "automatically" made me think it goes to the
> Celts the first time it isn't in the lottery.

That's how I interpreted the quote, too.

> Your point about Moiso is well taken, but I doubt at any point that he'd
be
> considered all that overpaid. He's on a short rookie contract. But if
you're
> giving him up for a pick in the last five of the first round, all you're
> doing is adding another rookie with a guaranteed three-year contract. It's
> nothing trade in terms of impact, unless they follow it up with something
> more significant.

You're absolutely right Mark.  This trade is meaningless by itself in terms
of what was given up and received.  The thing that you're refusing to admit
is that this is not just about money in Paul Gaston's pocket.  That it's
actually better to be $4m under the luxury tax threshold than $3m, or
whatever the numbers are.  And, it's better to have an extra draft pick
hanging around to use in trades than not.  People talk about "cap room" in a
figurative sense.  Basically it is flexibility in spending that's important
to us fans.  Can the team retain its players and add what it needs?  Does a
million or so make that much difference?  Well it could.  Next year
('02-'03) is very tight for the team because the luxury tax kicks in and
Kenny Anderson will be getting around $9m.  The following year he's gone.
Every little bit of deadwood that Wallace can jettison will make it that
much easier to do things like retain Mark Blount, if he has a good year, or
sign an exception player (it's also an extra spot on next year's roster that
was freed up).  I know you would rather see major changes in the team and it
looks like Wallace/Gaston have decided not to do that this year.  In lieu of
that, though, I think you should acknowledge that it is better for the team
to be making minor deals that improve their "salary cap" situation than ones
that get them in a deeper and deeper hole.  I consider that progress,
although maybe not as dramatic as you were hoping for?

Jim