Re: Celtics: playoff hopes

In a message dated 8/13/01 1:31:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, awang@MIT.EDU
writes:

> But when it comes down to it, 42-45 wins will most likely get you into the
> playoffs. There's always surprises each season, freak injuries, coaching
> implosions, etc.

I was just about to post this. Every year there are surprises good and bad
that change the playoff mix. Everyone considers the Magic a lock. What
happens if Grant Hill can't regain his form? Does anyone really think Ewing
is going to contribute more than Amechi did? The Magic roster is experiencing
Pitino-like turnover. That's just one team.

Other questions about last year's playoff teams:
Indiana: Reggie Miller is a year older and he showed signs of slipping last
year.
New York: If Camby gets hurt they have no chance and he's got a history of
injuries.
Will Eisley help or hurt? Dallas couldn't trade him fast enough. Rice might
have had a field day with the new rules.
Charlotte: Does Mashburn repeat last year's success or end up injured? Can
Silas keep Campbell motivated? Does the cancer known as Coleman hurt team
chemistry?
Miami: Welcome to life after Hardaway. Can Mourning keep going strong?
Milwaukee: Should be even better with the new rules but their best center,
Johnson, is on the downside of his career and Prizbilla continues to show
Moiso-like promise.
Philadelphia: If Iverson & Mutumbo stay healthy they'll coast but if they
don't? The rest of the cast just experienced a lot of turnover.
Toronto: How much will they miss Oakley? Will Hakeem be a Dream or a
Nightmare? What happens if high flying Carter lands on someone's foot?

The Celtics have to forget the other teams and go out and win more than half
their games. It's that simple -- not easy but simple.

George