Hawks Game

In what was an embarrassing game for the Celtics, a comment by Tommy H. got
my attention.  He was talking to Gorman and Wallace and they were joking
about going to France to work with Moiso over the off season.

Tommy made a statement about him working with Moiso.  The way he said it
was, to me, like he would really like a chance to work with the kid, as if
he could really help him bloom.  Then Gorman made a joke about Tommy wanting
to go to France to paint.  But that's not how I read it.  It was like Tommy
sees something here and that he feels he could make this kid a special
player.

That's one thing I've never understood about Pitino.  He has the greatest
players in the history of the game walking around him and hires college
asst. coaches to teach a "system" that doesn't take into consideration
individual matchups.  I remember coachs and players talking about exploiting
matchups.

Imagine what a Cousey could do with a Herren and Brown.  Russell, Heinson,
Parish, Walton  etc... could do with Battie, Moiso, Blount, even Walta.
Jojo White, DJ, Hondo, etc... with Pierce, Stith, Griffin etc...  I don't
mean hire Cousey etc... as full time coaches, but in the preseason and at
selected times during the year how could they not help these kids?

There is questions in my mind if any current Celtic player will even be
remembered in the years to come, (OK, Pierce seems like one) let alone be in
the rafters or in the HOF. Maybe these guys could help some of the current
players learn the skills/attitude/insight/understanding of the game that
they lack.

When Pitino came to town I was excited that he was going to teach these very
young players the fundamentals of the game.  The ones they lacked by not
playing 4 years in college.  Many of the current NBA coaches were having
trouble relating to the rich youth movement going on at that time so Pitino
seemed like the perfect fit.

But these guys don't seem to be learning fundamentals.  I haven't seen one
player who has a real low post game.  Tommy H. continues to point out that
no one even practices a post move during warmups.  Who didn't envision T.
Knight as the next McHale in the low post? (In the beginning of course).  Is
the team really better with Anderson over Billups?

Last year at the end of the season Pitino went to a man-to-man defense to
make players accountable for their defense (or lack thereof).  As someone
else pointed out, this was when Walker played his best team basketball.

Coincidence?

Pitino's "system" fails, IMO, to take into account the individual strengths
and weakness' of each player.  In fact I believe it is designed so that the
players are interchangable.  It also make it harder to make each player
accountable for their play.  In the NBA I don't think that is realistic.

This system must be why players like Battie think that they are superstars.
Make the players accountable for their play, expose their weakness and build
around their strengths so they have a chance to succeed and you'll have
fewer lack of effort games like last night.  IMHO.  I can live with a loss.
I can't support a lack of effort.

I can't believe I had to even say that in the preseason.  The NBA needs NFL
style contracts.

Sorry for the long rant, Joe inspired me to give up my lunch........

<Jim