Re: A win and a question

At 12:00 AM 11/25/00 -0500, David J. Boutte wrote:
>On 24 Nov 2000, at 23:28, Douglas342@aol.com wrote:
>
> >    At one point during the game, Tommy H was repeatedly saying that
> Antoine
> > was "in a rut" and everyone "had his number" and he was doing something
> over
> > and over again, causing him to be the most blocked player in the
> league.  But
> > he never said exactly what it was that Walker is doing.
>

>I believe that he was referring to not faking before going up for a
>shot when in the paint, resulting in a lot of his shots being blocked.

Personally, I think it's Walker's habit of constantly driving to the left
side of the basket when he goes to the hoop (on those occasions when he's
not pulling up for one of those ridiculous outside jumpers).  They all know
where he's going to end up, no matter how he gets there, so they wait for
him.  They know he, like Pierce, favors running into traffic instead of
faking the shot and passing the ball outside.  Tommy's right--even an
occasional fake, or slight deviation would be enough to keep the defense
guessing.

But more annoying than any of that is the C's increasing unwillingness to
run--with or without the ball.  One play in particular, when the Celts got
a violation because they were walking it upcourt so slow, they didn't get
over halfcourt in time!!  Every night, I wait for the Celtics to unleash
this speed Tommy Heinsohn brags on so very much, and except for an
occasional cut by Herrin or Stith, I never see it.

It's awfully hard for the Celtics to make an outlet pass when the guy with
the ball is farthest upcorurt to start with.  When they run and go inside,
they almost inevitably score.  Why aren't they seeing the obvious dividend,
especially opposed to the game against Orlando, where every basket was a
hard one from taking too much time, and not enough brains.

Tommy made a comment I agree with--they play very hard, they need to play
SMART.

And please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE--start HITTING FREE
THROWS.  Gah.

Despite my aggravation, I point out two positive things--first, that
despite the poor play, in some respect, this is a game they absolutely
would have lost last year.  The fact they won is a positive, however
small.  Two, despite their occasional pitfalls, I have an overall good
feeling about this team's potential.  I think they could be the team that
leads the East and hits the playoffs--if they get their problems under
control and keep them controlled.

"Of COURSE it's "just my opinion"--do YOU see any stone tablets around here?"

poof...
Snoopy the Celtics Beagle