Re: ESPN Article on Pitino

>From: "Juddy" <norine@together.net>
>
>     Thanks to Bentz I went to ESPN and read the articles - the one
>on Pitino by Adrian Wojnarowski was right on the mark for the way I
>feel - said very, very well.  Of course that's why he's a journalist
>and I'm not.

You really think it was written that well?  I wouldn't sell yourself
short -- you're a much better writer and more persuasive than this
guy, I think.  Here's why:

1) Wojnarowski's first main criticism is "Gee, Rick Pitino left a
practice to go see Billy Donovan's team in the Final Four."  Big
deal.  The C's were out of the playoff picture, and as coach and
"emperor", Il Duce gets to decide when practice is, how long it
lasts, and who must show up.  The man has like three dozen assistants
-- I'm pretty sure Jim O'Brien ran a repsectable practice.  Not too
concerned about this point.

2) Second criticism is, Pitino has "destroyed his share of forests to
publish his self-help motivational books, burned tanks of jet fuel to
fly into corporate events and tell cliche-starved businessmen the
secrets to his old successes."  Gimme a break.  I could just as
easily bring up the paper most newspaper sports editorials waste.
Low blow, criticizing the guy for doing what thousands of people do:
write books, fly airplanes, and speak to people.  Just silly.

3) Pitino has used excuses instead of being "accountable."  There's a
fine line between an "excuse" and a "reason."  I think with Pitino's
demeanor and attitude, people often mistake the latter for the
former.  I doubt Poultrino himself views Gaston's fiscal
responsibilty or the 1997 draft as excuses for losing -- that is,
saying "we're not winning, and there's why and it's OK."  Rather, he
probably thinks these are the reasons for some (or a lot) of the
losing.  Can't really say I agree with him, though.  This is the best
of Wojnarowski's arguments so far, though, and it still just isn't
that convincing.

4) Pitino has brought "less value and stability" to the roster,
through bad signings and bad picks.  OK, part of that is true: Pitino
has made some bad moves, and made some bad signings.  On the other
hand, the team is better now than when he took over.  So, if the ends
justify the means for you (and as a fan, they often do for me), then
I'm relatively happy with that.  Could Pitino have done better?  Oh
yeah.  But I also think he's brought in more value and more
stability.  *buzzzzzz*  Thanks for playing.

The suggestion that Pitino would do better with an executive over him
is a pretty good one, though -- I think that's true of a lot of NBA
coaches.  The rest of the article is the usual name-calling, low
blows, and snide remarks.  None too convincing.

I think if that article espouses your views, more power to you.  But
I just don't think it was all that well-written.  And please don't
imply that he's somehow better at getting his point across than you.
Just as Bill Cooper is (was?) a better journalist than 95% of the
ones out there, I'd rather hear from Dorine, Celtic fan and list
member, and her reasonings, than this shmuck from Joisey.  Just my
opinion.

Regards,

Bill, (Celticus "Tirdius" Maximus)

P.S. BTW, I think there's lot's of stuff to criticize Pitino about --
and most of it is expressed very well on this list.  Just don't think
Wojo is very good at doing it.  For myself, I try not to look at it
through the lens of a "Pitino-supporter" or a "Pitino-basher".  Some
things I like, some things I really dislike.  Win more, and I won't
care as much about the latter.