Re: BSG Report on Walker Trade

Jim Meninno wrote:

>  (cut) If something can be done with Kenny and/or Williams, then it could be
> worth it, but certainly not at the expense of giving up Antoine for cap
> space.  Cap space is only worth it if you're going to sign a free agent who's
> better
> than the players you let go.  Vlade Divac to get Shaq?  Good move!  Antoine to
> get Austin Croshere?  Please.

Exactamundo. I agree totally. In a 9 or 11 man sport like baseball or football,
you can get away with trading one quality player to get two. In basketball,
however, two-for-one deals have almost no precedent for working and this fact
also makes sense logically.

Of course trading an established starter for a future lottery pick is in fact
another matter (and also a genuine aspect of these scenarios).

This sort of thing has occasionally worked (or almost worked) in the past (e.g.
the Montross trade, not to mention Gerald Henderson for a number two overall
pick). But it is exactly and only that... a lottery. Antoine could actually
mature and help a team into the playoffs, making the draft pick far less
valuable.

Like Jim M., I haven't got a clue why (other than desperation) Pitino would
consider going through the hassle of trading a 23-year-old BYC player coming off
the hottest two-month stretch of basketball he has ever played. It can't be for
the future draft pick, since he sounds more than willing to send his own picks
away.

Joe

-------