Re: Suggestion: trade Hot Rod Williams to Cavs

----- Original Message ----- From: Joe Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>

>As for Griffin, Cheaney and company just needing extra practice, I
>believe that a great shooting eye is a lot like pro golf or billiards or
>hitting a curveball. You can't just decide you want to be great at it
>(no matter how much more athletic you are than those who do it
>professionally). Practice will get you to a certain level but, in the
>end, great shooting is just as much an innate talent as dunking.

You're right, Joe.  These guys can improve with practce, but will never be
the kind of pure shooter that Dana has been.  Without even seeing him play,
you'd have to assume that Josip Sesar is that type of player.  Like you said
after the draft, there are guys in the NBA who couldn't put up his kind of
shooting numbers in an empty gym.  And his size will allow him to come in at
a postition where not much else is expected from him, as opposed to Dana who
also needed to be able to distribute the ball.  Let's say he plays no
defense whatsoever, but can shoot lights out.  There are not many backups in
the league that will be able to keep up with him.  He'd also be a deadly
weapon to have at the end of games.  If he's either not ready or not
available due to contract status for this year, the Celtics could use
someone who shoots like that.  It has never been a priority for Pitino,
though, who seems to value height, athleticism and defensive talent over
shooting.  He's picked Bowen, Cheaney, Klack and Griffin, but never a
shooter at that position.

Jim

P.S.  I would disagree with your inclusion of golf into that category of
skills that you come to naturally.  In fact I can not think of another sport
that depends as much on practice to become good.  I would rate Tiger Woods'
work ethic, and the fact that he's been practicing since he was 6 months
old, as contributing more to his dominance than his natural ability.