Re: Subject: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V7 #157

----- Original Message -----
From: kevin <kevin.lok@lycosmail.com>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 1:43 AM
Subject: Subject: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V7 #157

> Hi greetings from singapore,
>
> thanks for postings, made my day. got some talking to do:
>
> > From: "Cecil Wright" <cecil@hfx.eastlink.ca>
> > Subject: Pitino Show
>
> > <snip>
> > Pitino discussed the conversation which took place on the plane ride
back
> > from Orlando, noting that the players ended up telling their three stars
> > that they needed to step it up.
>
> cecil, you mean the 3 stars here are Walker Overton Fort? just wanted to
> clarify.

He didn't mention them by name but I felt he was talking about Walker,
Pierce and Anderson.

> > Russ also discussed the difference between hard and soft points.  When
you

> > play against someone who averages 25 ppg, and they finish with 25, those
> > are
> > soft points and don't hurt you too much.  When someone who averages 3
ppg
> > finishes with 12, and gets them at key moments in the game, those are
hard

> > points and hurt badly.
>
> that's a good thing to discuss. most of our losses (even wins) had our
> opponent's star players under control, but those unknowns were killing us
> nightly. I think our effort is there, just bad luck (since the day ping
pong
> balls bounced the wrong way)

I would add immaturity and a lack of composure down the stretch.

> >  But there is something of significance which is missing.  He asked the
> > team who felt they
> > were a great rebounder.  Fort raised his hand and said he was a very
good
> > rebounder.
>
> cecil, is the team on the show too? arm chair audience or on stage with
> Pitino?

No, although earlier in the season, he would use specific players to
showcase particular moves or show how a play was designed, etc.  It is
normally just he and Lobel on stage.

> Working for a ladyboss b4(same style as Ricky with the shouting and
howling)
> and I can recalled during such situation,  I/anybody else chose to keep
> quiet. Not becos that we did not feel confidant of our abilities, but
rather
> having the mindset of "tuning out". She would just dispute what you said,
> becos she just can't accept any other opinion, she wants the last say
> (unless you're somebody higer) Imagine if V said "Coach, I can rebound,
just
> put me in the paint", Rick would shoot him down. Of course this is
> conjecture but I can (almost) identify with the players coach by Rick ala
my
> ex-ladyboss.
>
> The fact that Fort answered says he is not "afraid" of Pitino, Fort
(still)
> has his own mindset (meaning if Pitino ask him to trap guards, Fort
> would/could ignore the instructions if Fort deems it unworkable - in other
> words, he would not just follow instructions blindly). Also Fort (on
> numerous occasions too) is confidant of his ability.
>
> just my opinion/feeling.

Entirely possible.

> > He asked who felt they were a great defender.  Nobody raised
> > their hand.  When they get to the point where they want to excel
> > defensively, they will turn the corner.  You could point to missed free
> > throws or other things but if they turned in great defense consistently,
> > they would win more games.
>
> of course nobody dared raised a hand after all those close losses . no
> argument as to the causes of losses.
>
> > Russ said he was asked a week or so ago about the C's and he responded
> > with
> > he wouldn't change a thing.  He noted that the team is playing much
better

> > than they were earlier in the season.  He would stick with what RP is
> > doing
> > and keep the team together.  Said they are getting better as a unit and
> > starting to get more familiar with each others tendencies as a team.
Team
> > Defense is far more difficult to play than is Team Offense.  Said that
> > when he was in his last year with the C's, they lost 17 games by 3
points
> > or less.  If they had won half of those losses, they would have finished

> > in 1st place instead of 4th.  So this team isn't that far away.  All
that
> > should be expected is that, as Tiger Woods says, put him in position to
> > give himself a chance to win.  The C's are doing that.  They are giving
> > themselves a chance  to win in the 4th quarter.  They will be winning
some
> > of these games next year.
> >

> When Russ speaks, everybody (I mean the celtic-knowlegable public) gives
> respect and listens. I agree with Russ' words. I think our core is there,
we
> just need to grow together.
>
> > Pitino talked about how Toine, for all his intelligence, will never be a
> > great defender.  He'll be good, but not great.
>
> I think Pitino is pushing it a bit too far, too fast. Where can you find a
> player with good/great offensive game AND GREAT defense. Grant Hill? KG?
> Iverson? TMac? Vince "don't play defense" Carter? Shawn Kemp? Only player
> can think of is Duncan. Accept Duncan, all other players I mentioned can
> play defense, but got to sacrafice his offense in the same game.
>
> I would be happy with great offensive and Good defense from AW anyday.

Pitino specifically mentioned Gary Payton and Jason Kidd as examples of
those who do both.