Hi greetings from singapore,

thanks for postings, made my day. got some talking to do:

> From: "Cecil Wright" <cecil@hfx.eastlink.ca>
> Subject: Pitino Show

> <snip>
> Pitino discussed the conversation which took place on the plane ride back
> from Orlando, noting that the players ended up telling their three stars
> that they needed to step it up.

cecil, you mean the 3 stars here are Walker Overton Fort? just wanted to
clarify.

> Russ also discussed the difference between hard and soft points.  When you
>
> play against someone who averages 25 ppg, and they finish with 25, those
> are
> soft points and don't hurt you too much.  When someone who averages 3 ppg
> finishes with 12, and gets them at key moments in the game, those are hard
>
> points and hurt badly.

that's a good thing to discuss. most of our losses (even wins) had our
opponent's star players under control, but those unknowns were killing us
nightly. I think our effort is there, just bad luck (since the day ping pong
balls bounced the wrong way)

>  But there is something of significance which is missing.  He asked the
> team who felt they
> were a great rebounder.  Fort raised his hand and said he was a very good
> rebounder.

cecil, is the team on the show too? arm chair audience or on stage with
Pitino?
Working for a ladyboss b4(same style as Ricky with the shouting and howling)
and I can recalled during such situation,  I/anybody else chose to keep
quiet. Not becos that we did not feel confidant of our abilities, but rather
having the mindset of "tuning out". She would just dispute what you said,
becos she just can't accept any other opinion, she wants the last say
(unless you're somebody higer) Imagine if V said "Coach, I can rebound, just
put me in the paint", Rick would shoot him down. Of course this is
conjecture but I can (almost) identify with the players coach by Rick ala my
ex-ladyboss.

The fact that Fort answered says he is not "afraid" of Pitino, Fort (still)
has his own mindset (meaning if Pitino ask him to trap guards, Fort
would/could ignore the instructions if Fort deems it unworkable - in other
words, he would not just follow instructions blindly). Also Fort (on
numerous occasions too) is confidant of his ability.

just my opinion/feeling.

> He asked who felt they were a great defender.  Nobody raised
> their hand.  When they get to the point where they want to excel
> defensively, they will turn the corner.  You could point to missed free
> throws or other things but if they turned in great defense consistently,
> they would win more games.

of course nobody dared raised a hand after all those close losses . no
argument as to the causes of losses.

> Russ said he was asked a week or so ago about the C's and he responded
> with
> he wouldn't change a thing.  He noted that the team is playing much better
>
> than they were earlier in the season.  He would stick with what RP is
> doing
> and keep the team together.  Said they are getting better as a unit and
> starting to get more familiar with each others tendencies as a team.  Team
> Defense is far more difficult to play than is Team Offense.  Said that
> when he was in his last year with the C's, they lost 17 games by 3 points
> or less.  If they had won half of those losses, they would have finished
> in 1st place instead of 4th.  So this team isn't that far away.  All that
> should be expected is that, as Tiger Woods says, put him in position to
> give himself a chance to win.  The C's are doing that.  They are giving
> themselves a chance  to win in the 4th quarter.  They will be winning some
> of these games next year.

When Russ speaks, everybody (I mean the celtic-knowlegable public) gives
respect and listens. I agree with Russ' words. I think our core is there, we
just need to grow together.

> Pitino talked about how Toine, for all his intelligence, will never be a
> great defender.  He'll be good, but not great.

I think Pitino is pushing it a bit too far, too fast. Where can you find a
player with good/great offensive game AND GREAT defense. Grant Hill? KG?
Iverson? TMac? Vince "don't play defense" Carter? Shawn Kemp? Only player I
can think of is Duncan. Accept Duncan, all other players I mentioned can
play defense, but got to sacrafice his offense in the same game.

I would be happy with great offensive and Good defense from AW anyday.

> Feels that what they are
> missing, is someone like Russell to be there to cover their back as a
> shotblocker.

See Scott Pollard at Kings? He has bulk and can run the floor. I saw Kings
on TV (too much lah!) and Pollard can block shots. Why can't V or Batman
(consistently)? V has bulk and can run too, isn't it? conclusion (at least
mine), Ricky P's schemes/coaching are not working to the strengths of our
players, period.

> RP feels that Pierce can become a great defender,

is RP sacraficing Pierce's offensive game?

> Williams can move his feet
> very well and that we need a backup PG who can defend.

in RP's language, it means a 6-3 or taller PG. How's Wayne Turner doing?

> Cecil

thanks Cecil for the report.

> From: "David" <dajubo@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Scott Skiles
>
> Although in the past I've advocated getting rid of Pitino, I'd like to
> see him give it one more chance. However, if he is either let go or
> resigns, I believe the C's should give Skiles a serious look.
>
> - -David

I feel our core (7-8 players) is set. just need some kind of a coach who can
keep them in line (Paul Silas/Dave Cowens/Chris Ford), let them play (Paul
Silas/Bird/Doc Rivers). Com'om bring back KC Jones!!! Forget Isiah Thomas,
another Choir-boy type with the smile. I think Thomas is worse at
managing/getting the best out of available talents.

> From: "Thomas Murphy" <tfmiii@worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: patience and stability
>
> >>``I think they're a great group of guys,'' Pitino said of his team as he
>
> prepared to drop the anvil. ``We've got a wonderful attitude. We've stayed
>
> upbeat. We refuse to get down. And that's good.
>
> ``But I think when you have great attitude and you have great chemistry
> and
> you're working hard, you better say . . . who was it, Parcells, the coach
> that said, `What you are is what you are.' And, yes, we could have won
> probably eight or 10 more games if the breaks fall our way, but that's 38
> or
> 39 wins. So I think we've got to make some strong additions to our
> basketball team in order to become better.''

now that it is a given that RP will come back for next season, and RP got to
do everything to make the playoffs, becos his everything is on the line
(reputation, contract, next better job/paycheck). He's spinning now for
trades in the future.  I don't see him admitting a coaching style change
which I deem as the root of the problem.

> If the Celtics keep a pat hand, he said, ``all we're going to do is be a
> little wiser with the same basketball team, and a little wiser maybe means
>
> five or six more wins. But it's not going to get us over the hump. We've
> got
> to get over this hump right now.'

I just pray that RP keeps his word not to trade the core. Be patient 1 more
season and work from there, couldn't he?

> From: "Thomas Murphy" <tfmiii@worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: Fortson future
>
> >>Another factor in Fortson's lack of playing time could be his contract.
> He
> has not told the team if he will re-sign. If they play him more and he
> does
> well, the Celtics would seemingly have to offer him more money to stay.
> And
> Fortson may not want to stay no matter what the Celtics offer.

only way i see Fort getting the contract and playing time, is for Battie to
be traded (get a late first round, I don't care).

> From: damekmo@teleport.com
> Subject: Re: patience and stability
>
> >If the Celtics keep a pat hand, he said, ``all we're going to do is be a
> >little wiser with the same basketball team, and a little wiser maybe
> means
> >five or six more wins. But it's not going to get us over the hump. We've
> got
> >to get over this hump right now.''<<
>
> Do you disagree with him, Tom? Do you actually think that this team, with
> this talent, is ever going to compete for anthing other than 8th playoff
> spot? I think he's made some horrible mistakes acquiring players and he'd
> be a fool to come back with the same team. Red couldn't win with that
> bench.

I agree that this is where the trades should come. trade our bench (Purvis,
Overton, Waltuh, Barros, Minor) but it will be difficult to draw interest
unless packaged with some core players. I would like to move KA this off
season since his value is probably highest now.

> Pitino's been a horrible gm. Perhaps the solution is to keep him on
> the court and out of the front office.

yes, just get him do the coaching. leave the GMing to a new guy (Wallace is
probably a yes-man to RP)

thanks for reading. cheers

kevin