Re:Pots

Dan Forant Sr wrote:

> Pots will settle down, don't expect miracles from him. He may get a hair
> better than last season who knows. What you see is what you get w/Pots. It
> takes more than a body to play round ball, he has the body. The better
> players are thinkers and some get basketball naturally. I don't believe he
> does. When the club formats him properly, he'll do as expected, hustle and
> provide size and not much else.
>
> At 07:27 AM 10/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >D Wickerham wrote:
> >
> >One point of disagreement here....  VPot looked worse than awful!!

Oh Dan, guys,  he's not THAT bad. Potapenko's actually very coordinated for a
290 pound muscle guy, and I'm not just referring to his sound technique and
balance. We're talking about a Greg Kite-size guy afterall. Plus he's a guy who
can be trusted to play within himself AND play very hard.

VP is exactly the type of player that list trade addicts would constantly be
moaning about not having on the Celts, if we didn't already have him. Without
VP, we'd be a total joke going up against Shaq and the Fakers in any future NBA
finals, which I regard as our collision course destiny. OH YEAH! We have both
Battie and Fortson available to contain Shaq! Sorry, never mind.

If Pitino hadn't pulled the trigger on the "Andre Miller" trade, where would we
be right now? Seriously, we filled a major hole without much cost to the
franchise (basically we swapped lotto picks with Denver).

You think Pitino's better off if we bypassed VP him for a Yogi Stewart, Samaki
Walker, Shawn Bradley, Tony Battie type? Well I'm telling you those kinds of
athletic, shot blocking bodies are A LOT easier to find on the market than a
Vitaly Potapenko. Tall and lean 235 pounders come into the league or free agent
market every summer in the 2 million range. How many coordinated and motivated
290 pounders were there in the last few NBA drafts? It may sound like I'm trying
to overrate Potapenko's rarity and value, but I'm just stating a fact.

Go Red Sox!

Joe

****