Re:

Mark Berry wrote:

> You know, I have a real problem with this line of discussion. Boston already has
> a reputation around the country as a racist city.

I think that indeed it is.  In fact, it is more racist than Columbia SC.
Just ask the Xman.  But on the other hand, this is generally true of
much of the "great" Northern cities.  It may not be overt like it is in
the South, but that makes it even more insidious.

> I've been frustrated in the
> past when telling others that I am a Celtic fan, to be told I only like them
> "because they're so white." Many ignorant basketball fans consider the Celtics a
> racist organization, despite their ground-breaking racial tolerance in the areas
> of player acquisition and coaching.

Certainly the Celtics were the first NBA team with a black player and
broke much ground with Bill Russell, who suffered greatly from racism.

 And now we, supposedly the most
> knowledgeable of Celtic fans, add fuel to the fire with a list discussion of the
> great white players on those Celtic teams and their merits in terms of
> "chemistry and lack of ego."

This is a personal problem. I never said the lack of ego and chemistry
had anything to do with race.  If you read it that way, it is your
problem.  It has nothing to do with what I said.  I loved the Celtics
always because this was the trademark of the team.  My heroes, in the
very early 1960's were the black players who played that way, and some
of the most intelligent ever in the game, Bill Russell, Sam Jones and KC
Jones.  The fact remains that all three eras of great Celtic teams have
been marked by lack of ego, team work, and chemistry, at least on the
floor.

Talk like that perpetuates stereotypes (the black
> quarterback is an athlete, the white QB a student of the game OR the black
> basketball player is an athlete, the white one a hard-worker). I expect better
> from those on this list. We're embarking on a crucial offseason in this team's
> development, and this is what we want to discuss? It's sad.
>
> Mark

People may want to pretend that racism doesn't exist but it does.  But
it has nothing to do with this thread.  For a white boy growing up in
the segregated south, most of my heroes were black.  In fact Bill
Russell was the first I remember.  I own a NO 6 jersey.  The others were
Martin Luther King, George Washington Carver, KC and Sam Jones, Charlie
Scott, Earl the Pearl, Jimi Hendrix, Howling Wolf, Willie Dixon, etc.
Hey when I was in the 6th grade, I was ridiculed because I had a crush
on Diana Ross.  I mean, now I know better, it is Halle Berry!  (Please
don't tell my wife about this!)  But can I say that I am NOT racist or
sexist.  I don't think so, as there was so much of that behavior that is
learned and I grew up in a racist and sexist society.  So, I have to
strive to be aware of such attitudes and root them out so that I judge
each person on who they are and how they act, not color, race, sex,
religion, class status, etc.

The fear of talking about the truth because it might be called racist
and is not politically correct is the greater evil in our society these
days.  The truth of the matter, the Celtics have had chemistry and lack
of ego with more black than white and vice versa.  But this team does
not.  And without, they will not be great.  So, it has nothing to do
with these players other than they are young.  Now if they are black
too, well that has NOTHING to do with it, how would it be any different
if they were white.  I mean, I don't want Jon Barry, Bob Sura, or a
bunch of other selfish white players with talent on this team.  I would
like some leadership like Jim Jackson, Mark Jackson, David Robinson and
other black players who have sublimated their games to the success of
the team have shown.  That would be good.  Don't be too sensitive.  Fact
is, most white men can't jump.  But they can rebound anyway!  If they
are a team player, block out and have timing.

--
Bentz
bocelts@usit.net

http://www.scsn.net/users/sclaw