RE: Greg O, master sociologist

Well let me clarify one last time (hopefully), what I am trying to relate to
is the prevailing behavior in some areas of this country, and world, and
this is a large way has nothing to do with race, to putting people who
aren't like you down.  My earlier "redneck" reference of course exists
everywhere to a degree, but this Rebel Yell philosophy in even very cultured
circles in places like Atlanta is disturbing to someone like myself who grew
up in an area, where we never a moments thought to who or where people came
from or what side of the track they were raised on.  At least on the west
coast there is very little class structure, unless you get way down or up
the food chain.  For a middleclass guy like me, everyone was my buddy, I
didn't and still don't give a damn, how I am "supposed" to treat someone,
based on any quality, of which I haven't a clue.  My experiences in the
South were very eye opening, when it came to trying to do something for
myself in an environment where this wasn't allowed.  Atlanta is not a place
I care to spend any time in again, as a tourist or otherwise.  As sports
fans go they define the bad side of the spectrum.  At least in NY, Philly or
LA the average fan is an intelligent sports fan who comes prepared to be
themselves and enjoy the experience.  In Atlanta they look at their
neighbors and react when it appears prudent.  Individuality is damned.

Sorry to preach, and maybe offend, when reality I speak often of the concept
of tolerance, but at the same time I have no tolerance for the idea of
putting people into slots or forcing an image on anyone.  Calpo in this way
belongs in someplace like south Alabama, and this is the only thing I was
trying to imply.  And for Southern Hospitality, this is a myth, that I am
not sure existed ever outside of a Margaret Mitchell novel, or to an
outsider, and even then they burned Atlanta.  Maybe that is why it is named
the Sherman tank.

Greg