Re: Michael Holley: Pitino Offers Mercer $7 million; Walker 98% Chance; C's In Standby Mode

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> Michael Holley in a non-web posted Pro Basketball Notes column in
> today's Globe the following:
> Stanby Mode or Standby Passengers
>
> That's what Holley categorizes the Celtics moves as being, as he questions
> whether the C's can sign both Fortson and Battie; questions if Fortson
> will be happy coming off the bench; questions if the two players will be
> seeking minutes and stats this season since they're in the last year of
> their contracts;

I've often argued that Mercer (who I've viewed as a pure scorer) will affect
team chemistry negatively unless Denver signs him to his fat extension this
Summer. By contrast, it might not be as bad to wait on a Danny Fortson (a
pure rebounder type), since an extra effort on the boards (as opposed to
extra shot attempts) improves team chemistry and wins. Once Danny has his
first 20 rebound night, he will be a legend in Beantown.

Tony Battie likely will also be extra active in several non-scoring
categories (a wannabe Theo Ratliff) and will certainly be the most valuable
player on our second unit. I say "second unit" only because Fortson
outhustled Battie so badly in his rookie year that it earned the latter the
tag of "El Busto" and earned Fortson the right to be penciled in as a NBA
starter. Last season, Danny beat up far worse on another 6-11 pre-season
"phenom" (Keon Clark). N.B. If Paul Pierce had gotten snatched away
Milwaukee at the 9th pick, it's quite likely Boston would have drafted Keon
Clark last year. This is why we believe in Leprechauns.

> As Holley says: "The Celtics are playing dangerously by allowing both to
> begin this season in their 'contract' years.  If both play poorly, they
> could easily keep them. If both play well, they could run the risk of not
> being able to afford the both of them."

The tricky part from a public relations standpoint will be offering both big
guys the same amount or more than what was offered Ron Mercer, which IMO is
on the low-end of what a high lottery pick who succeeds as a solid NBA
starter typically gets offered (25 to 28 million depending on which side you
believe). IMO, the fact that Pitino offered so little to Mercer (notably in
terms of length of contract)  proves he actually watches videotape.

Chris Littlefield wrote a very original recent post in which he suggested
that it is largely an impressionistic assumption that last year's fiasco was
primarily the fault of Antoine (and also Kenny) coming to camp out-of-shape.

Fact: Antoine and Kenny played atrocious basketball in the first month of
last season (both flirted at or below 40%FG), yet the team as a whole
finished above .500 (6-5) and whupped solid teams (Knicks & Orlando at home,
Miami on the road). This despite Kenny improving his shooting dramatically
(.380 in the winning month versus .491 the rest of the season) and Walker
reducing his shot attempts very significantly (19.6 in the winning month
down to 16.74 the rest of the year). The Celts were 4-1 without Ron Mercer
in their opening month, but 4-17 upon his return. Perhaps not
coincidentally, Ron jacked up a team-leading 17.6 shots per game the rest of
the way, mostly but not exclusively at Paul Pierce's expense.

So one thing positive you can say about our Celts: they are A LOT better on
paper than the Celts team ("Ringo's Stars") that opened last season on a
winning month without Mercer's services. But for now, the Celts face a
quandary. If they immediately resign our "two backups" to contracts of equal
or greater length and size than what was just offered Ron Mercer, they will
risk the loud hoots and jeers of so many Boston fans and sportswriters. But
if the Celts decide to wait and all goes well for the team, then they'll
have to be prepared to pay Fortson and Battie more money at the end of next
season (although I think Pitino will be authorized to do so) or even risk
losing them.

Joe

p.s. I 'd prefer to have our 23-year-old "Fort" than the oft-mentioned
Indiana Davis boys. I've watched every game we played against the Pacemakers
last year. Those guys were accused last year of playing poor/indifferent
defense and being over the hill.  Even our brick-laying and undersized
Celtics team shot a respectable .470 and managed 98.7 points overall against
Indiana.  As for the "Endangered Bird Preservation Act" (i.e. trading
Antoine now), the only reason I support it is to mercifully spare that kid
of our continued stupidity.

-----