Michael Holley: Pitino Offers Mercer $7 million; Walker 98% Chance; C's In Standby Mode

Michael Holley in a non-web posted Pro Basketball Notes column in
today's
Globe the following:

Pitino said he offered Mercer a 4-year deal for $28 million and
incentives. The C's never talked to Mercer about a 6-year deal. Pitino
also said, the contract quoted
by Mercer's agent is a "blatant lie."  He also disputed Tevester Scott's
claim
that he pulled Ron Mercer aside at the end of last season and told him:
"'Come
on, sign this contract for me. I'm your college coach.'"

"Pitino: 'I didn't even talk contract with Ron at the end of the year. I
knew it was
going to be tough to get him signed. I talked to him about things like
conditioning
and improving his game.'"

Holley says Mercer's agent is still upset at Pitino for what he
perceives as double-dealing - Pitino's response to this is: "'What's he
talking about? I've
only talked to him once. Chris Wallace did most of the negotiating with
him.'"

Antoine Walker

Holley says: "Pitino was asked if he thought Antoine Walker would be a
Celtic
on Opening Night: 'I'm 98 percent sure he will be,' the coach said."

Stanby Mode or Standby Passengers

That's what Holley categorizes the Celtics moves as being, as he
questions
whether the C's can sign both Fortson and Battie; questions if Fortson
will
be happy coming off the bench; questions if the two players will be
seeking
minutes and stats this season since they're in the last year of their
contracts; questions if Cheaney's 99 season is a fluke or the real
Cheaney?

As Holley says: "The Celtics are playing dangerously by allowing both to
begin this season in their 'contract' years.  If both play poorly, they
could
easily keep them. If both play well, they could run the risk of not
being
able to afford the both of them."

Holley says Eric Williams has patented himself after Bernard King with
his ability
to get to the line. Says Tim Duncan may end up in Orlando; says Phoenix
and
Portland are the first class elite thanks to the trades; says the
"Celtics
slammed Denver by taking a first rounder from them, giving them a player
they didn't want..."  and Mercer, who they "would not sign."
Ray