No Subject

Mercer goes to Nuggets in 6-player deal
AUGUST 3, 1999

BOSTON -- The Celtics and Denver Nuggets completed a major six-player trade
on Tuesday that sends guard Ron Mercer from Boston to Denver for power
forward Danny Fortson.

Popeye Jones and Dwayne Schintzius go with Mercer to Denver for Fortson,
Eric Washington and Eric Williams, who began his career in Boston. The
Celtics will also receive a first-round draft choice in one of the next
three years.

Both Mercer and Fortson were up for contract extensions this summer.

Mercer, who played for Celtics coach Rick Pitino at Kentucky, averaged 17
points last year and is considered an emerging star. The Celtics began
exploring the trade market last month after Mercer said there was a "huge
difference" between the Celtics initial offer and what he was asking on a
new contract.

Pitino said the addition of the 6-6, 260-pound Fortson changes the Celtics
from an offensive, finesse-oriented team, to a "tough-minded" club, and
solidifies the Celtics low post game.

"We had to shore up our front court," he said. "We've done that."

Pitino said the team would not have dealt Mercer if not for his contract
demands.

"We had no desire to trade Ron Mercer," Pitino said. "I could not even come
close to the numbers Ron Mercer wanted as a basketball player."

Fortson was fourth in the league in rebounding with an 11.6 average last
year, his third in the league. Fortson also averaged 11 points. Fortson came
to Denver by a trade after being picked by Milwaukee in the first round.

The deal brings Williams back to the city where he played the first two
years of his career. Williams, a fourth-year player, averaged 15 points for
the Celtics in 1996-1997.

Williams left the Celtics under a cloud, with Pitino questioning his work
ethic. But on Tuesday, Pitino said he was convinced Williams had changed his
ways.

"He's made a 360-degree turn about in all departments," he said. "Now we're
getting back a ballplayer that has matured."

Williams is entering the third year of a four-year, $30 million contract.
Denver agreed to pay $3 million of Williams contract, the maximum percentage
allowed by the league.

The Celtics also announced the signing of free-agent guard Wayne Turner on
Tuesday. Pitino said he envisions Turner, a Boston native who played for
Kentucky, as a third guard on the Celtics.

Roger S. Belanger
User Support Services
mailto:rbelange@foxboro.com
Phone: 508-549-2796
Fax: 508-549-2263
Mail Stop: N03-2B

 <<Belanger,Roger.vcf>>

------_=_NextPart_000_01BEDDCF.D5140882

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Belanger;Roger
FN:Roger Belanger
ORG:Foxboro Co.;1851
TITLE:Network Analyst
NOTE:fox-nep03-xch
TEL;WORK;VOICE:2-2796
TEL;WORK;VOICE:2-3444
TEL;PREF:2-2796
ADR;WORK:;N03-2B;33 Commercial Street;Foxboro;MA;02035;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:N03-2B=0D=0A33 Commercial Street=0D=0AFoxboro, MA 02035=0D=0AUSA
EMAIL;PREF;EX:/o=SCD/ou=FOXBORO/cn=Recipients/cn=rbelange
REV:19990416T113815Z
END:VCARD

------_=_NextPart_000_01BEDDCF.D5140882--