Re: I Don't Think The Celtics Will Do The Fortson/Mercer Trade

Joe,

Here are my problems with the trade:

Pitino doesn't want Williams' hard to deal contract or influence:

- We all complain about the long term cap crap deals, and you want the
Celtics
to add another one in Williams.  Plus, Williams had been a bust in
Denver.

- Pitino and Antoine are at war at the moment - He's not going to bring
in
one of Antoine's pal so he'll have even less control over the situation.

The C's aren't sure how Pot and Fortson we'll work out:

- Exactly.  Can they coexist together or will they both need to be down
low to be effective?

- Pot and Fortson could be a defensive liability. A 6-10 and 6-6 C/PF
combination
is worrisome from a defensive perceptive. Two guys who aren't
shotblockers,
and possess a lot of beef, are not exactly what you envision for a
pressing
system.

Battie's Time to Blossom:

- Yes it is. How much will bringing him off the bench retard his
progress?

- The C's need his shotblocking and quickness in the starting lineup.

Mercer Traded for a future All-Star:

- I don't quite think Fortson fits into that category.

Battie and S. Walker will be fine at power forward:

- I believe if the club can acquire S. Walker without giving up Mercer,
it would be of benefit to the C's frontcourt.

Mercer may bring in more value than Fortson:

- Sure why not.  As teams keep offering deals and Pitino turns them down
or
says they don't exist, Mercer's value goes up.  It's a group GM
mentality.
If GM's A, B, C, and D offer deals, then GM E figures he must get on in
the
bidding, because the player up for bids obviously has a high value as
so many teams are interested in him. If Pitino is smart, he'll play the
bidders
against  one another.
Ray