Re: I Don't Think The Celtics Will Do The Fortson/Mercer Trade

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> First of all, I don't think Pitino wants Eric Williams anywhere
> near Antoine Walker.  I think he considers him to be a bad influence
> on Walker, which is one of the reasons he gave him away in the
> first place.  And as indicated by the Holley article and all
> the contretemps this summer, the C's aren't exactly overjoyed
> with Walker's presence at the moment any ways. Adding Williams
> to the equation may make it even more of a volatile mix.
>
> Secondly, I think the C's question how successful a Pot/Fortson
> duo will be, and thanks to the information provided once again in
> the Holley column, it looks like the team is also down on Potapenko
> at the moment.  So much for Coach Pinochio's usual blather
> about Pot being a workout freak, etc. Maybe he is, but he appears to
> have bulked up at the cost of his mobility, and now it's Jenny Craig
> time for Pot Belly (Bob McChesney is swooning at the moment).
>
> Third, they seem to be high on Tony Battie.  Are they going to sign him
> a hefty chunk of change and then bring him off the bench?  Maybe they
> are,
> since they seem keen on dealing Walker for a PF and need a scorer coming
> off the bench, but I gotta think, that after Battie gets the big bucks,
> he's going to feel he's a starter true and true. Remember what Pitino
> said about bringing young players off the bench.
>
> Ray

Well, you lost me. It seems to me that the face value of this deal would be
a new starting frontline that averaged nearly 27 rebounds per game (an
unheard of 9.0 offensive rebounds per game) in just 31.0 minutes per game on
average. This STILL leaves 51 additional minutes of PT to distribute among
players like Tony Battie, McCarty and Adrian Griffin, depending on who is
most effective that night. Add to that a nifty rebounding starter in Paul
Pierce, and it's hard to imagine the Celts ever getting outrebounded based
on talent.

Before you say anything, I'll admit that 27 freaking rebounds per games from
three starters sounds unlikely and way too inflated. After all, it took Hall
of Famers Bird, Parish and McHale at least 36mpg to reach a similar total on
a good year. A "good year" back then meant an NBA championship. Superior
rebounding differentials equal championships. It means you can play ugly and
still manage to win.

As for "team chemistry", the only problem I'd  forsee will be finding a way
to make up for the 7 more shots per game that Mercer attempted compared to
Fortson, and getting everyone used to the idea of having a power forward who
actually finished among the top ten players in the NBA in FG%.

In the end, I say who freaking CARES if Eric Williams comes in and rides
Pitino's bench or moves onto our injured reserve list?  Frankly, I don't
even mind if Denver insists on sending us the Jon Benet Ramsey family, the
Menendez brothers, whomever. In this respect, aren't we exaggerating what
kind of "bad influence" Eric Williams had in Boston and specifically on
Antoine Walker's rookie year (I don't know, maybe I just need to have my
memory jogged).

Williams seemed like a decent team player with solid Rodney Rogers type
offensive skills. In fact, he's a rather polished, efficient bench scorer
when healthy and has an explosive first step. Sure he came across as fun and
upbeat whenever interviewed, but I still can't blame him if he feels Pitino
basically blindsided him with the sudden trade. Now Williams is older, been
through some tough times, possibly is more mature, and in any case entering
the third year of his new contract.

If this is really what's bugging you Ray, then I think you are failing to
see the forest for the trees (or whatever that expression is).

Joe

p.s. Whether it's right or wrong, one logical rationale for Pitino to not
immediately showcase/project Tony Battie in the starting lineup is that he
could end up costing more than he deserves based on his very modest career
achievements to date.