Re: Homework: Lesson #1. Fans after strike.

I think this is an incorrect assumption.  Baseball and basketball are
different in so many ways.  Baseball is the national passtime, the game
of your childhood.  People are not connected to basketball in the same
emotional way. If the Finals were cancelled, that would not have
anywhere near the devastating effect on the game as losing the World
Series did.  There is no way that basketball can alienate as many people
in the same way as baseball did, because the average person cares less
about it.  Baseball is one of the handful of things that defines
America.  It is forever linked to our national identity and the
mistreatment of the game by its owners and players was a mistreatment of
America.

That is not to say that baseball is a better game, or even that people
like it better.  For a long time people have been getting sick of long,
slow, boring baseball games.  A 162 game season is too much with today's
busy lives.  But that doesn't matter.  It's like when a president is
shot.  It doesn't matter whether you voted for him, or even if you liked
him, it's a shock.

One final difference is that in baseball you have a powerful players
union that dominates a spineless governing body.  People end up
resenting both sides.  In the NBA both sides seem to be strong and it's
more of a fair fight.

With basketball you will not need the kind of drama going on in baseball
this year.  The action of the game itself is exciting enough to hold a
sports fan's interest.  There is already a backlash against the slowdown
85 point games of Miami and New York.  We're very lucky that our team is
one of the most exciting teams to watch.  Let's face it, if you didn't
still enjoy watching basketball, you wouldn't be reading and
contributing to this list.

Jim

>From: "ramani_rite"@lnmta.bentley.edu
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:46:49 -0400
>Subject: Homework: Lesson #1. Fans after strike.
>
>Now for your homework, assuming fans will not return, develop a "story"
ending with a great drama similar to the Homerun chase to