One more example of the death of BBall

I picked the following off the TSN website this morning.  With all due
respect to Mr. Phillips, this idea is but one more example of the ruination
of this game.  It continues to move down the path of gimmickry and the
elevation/worship of individual play.  In a few years, it may not be worth
watching...
Sorry to vent.  I'm in a foul mood this morning, thinking about the C's not
getting Duncan, and the Lakers being in the playoffs!

>              You want to be heard? Well, now you can! TSN introduces yet
another
>              way for you to interact with us. It's the new Fan's View.
Throughout the
>              week, we'll let readers speak out as guest columnists. Want
to get
>              something off your chest? You've come to the right place.
>
>              Today, we feature sports fan Egon Phillips, who wants to
introduce a new
>              feature to the NBA.
>
>              I would like to stimulate some discussion on the possibility
of implementing a
>              3-point dunk in the NBA. Why? I think the "dunk trey" might
make the game
>              even more exciting. It could provide a modus operandi for the
dunk, beyond its
>              already extremely high entertainment value.
>
>              It would reward players for their extreme and extraordinary
athletic ability. It
>              could change the nature of the inside game, requiring the
inside man to be
>              stronger, quicker and more athletic.
>
>              One possible implementation of the dunk trey: a player would
receive three
>              points for a dunk if he/she takes off from outside the
charge/block line or if
>              he/she dunks in traffic. "In traffic" would be defined as
dunking from inside or
>              outside the charge/block line when one or more members of the
opposing team
>              are inside the charge/block line.

and on and on .......

Mark Estepp				704 262 3111
Appalachian State University			704 265 8696 (fax)
Esteppjm@AppState.edu