Re: Lockout

Why are young players constantly blamed for asking for huge salaries?  (I
know, Don, you were rather diplomatic about it, but my guess is others on
this list are happy to tear into the rookies, etc)  First of all, it is of
course their agents and not the players themselves who make the contract
demands.  Secondly, young players in the NBA are merely asking to be
compensated at market value for the enourmous revenue they generate for
the league and its owners.  I rarely, if ever, hear anyone complain
about those in other occupations asking for the same courtesy.  If a mall
designed by some architect is going to generate huge sums for its owner,
and they both know it, the developer will pay the architect handsomely for
his services.
"But wait!" you say, "these young players haven't EARNED their salaries -
they've done little or nothing to merit such gargantuan paychecks!  When
they've proven themselves as perennial All-Stars and leading our team to
championships, then they should be paid these salaries."
True, perhaps, but unfortunately irrelevant.  Our wage scale is not based
on such a merit system - it is based on markets, like almost everything
else in this economy (the influence of unions on wages is an interesting
discussion, but let's postpone it for the moment).  Whether or not Shareef
Abdur-Rahim has done anything to justify his salary in the fans' eyes, he
helps bring in a certain amount of money through ticket sales,
merchandise, etc.  His is therefore rewarded (though likely
under-rewarded) for the services he provides, but more importantly, for
the revenue he helps generate.  Notice that is the fans here who are
really paying him -  buy purchasing the tickets and t-shirts from which
the owners and NBA profits so highly, and in supplying the tax money to
build the stadia, etc (this is how the owners really get off, hehe).  So,
when arguing that "it's the fans who really lose out in the end," let's
keep in mind that it is the fans who help fuel the economic juggernaut
that is the NBA, allowing multi-billionaire owners to award players
multi-million dollar contracts.
Yes, this is oversimplified, but I think it presents the basics of the
situation.  I'll be interested to see people's responses.
peace,
davide