Re: Get Real About The C's Chances Against Utah -Reply

Greg:

If you so readily "...comply with Tom's comments," than surely you will
acknowledge the validity of my right to hold an opinion, as well.  Perhaps
the real problem with some C-List members is not thinly-veiled sarcasm
as you have suggested, but rather an unwillingness to objectively
evaluate List comments that aren't lauded with praise for the men in
green or that disagree with the general positive consensus.

For the record, the word "daft" means "frivolous" in the context I was
using--it does not connote "lack of intelligence."

Also for the record, I apologized off-line to Josh for my comments.  Upon
rereading the e-mail (after I'd already sent the message), I realized that
the opening seemed to be laced with hostility, which was certainly not
my intention.

Finally, it's fine for people to be optimistic about the team's chances.
That's the definition of being a fan.  I happen to disagree with some
aspects of this optimism.  My posting was nothing more than an attempt
to interject some objective caution into what I view as unrealistic
expectations for the current team, and an opportunity for me to voice my
opinion to fellow Celtics fans / List subscribers.  It wasn't meant as a
personal attack on enthusiastic fans, as you imply.

I'm guardedly optimistic that the Celtics will be amongst the upper echelon
of night-in / night-out powerhouse teams in the NBA, but it's not going to
happen this year--and maybe not the next.  Given time, draft picks, some
free agent acquisitions, and a healthy dose of Pitino, the expectations
will cease to be unrealistic and will become legitimately justifiable.

Ryan

FYI--as for being a "closet Jazz fan," you couldn't be more wrong.
There are other members of the Celtic List (who are personal
acquaintances) who can verify how much I have always despised the
Utah Jazz.

However, I do respect the Jazz team members for their general
professionalism (even Stockton, who is somewhat of a thug in my
opinion), and as a basketball purist, for their style of play.