Re: Fresh rumors

I like losing Dee's salary a little earlier, but I have a couple of
concerns about the trade....

First:  ALthough Richardson was highly hyped out of college, he has
never been anything close to an effective NBA point guard...simply put,
the Clippers are more effective with Martin as point guard.  Dee is not
a point guard either, but, as much as I hate to admit it, he at least
can help on the press...I'm not sure if Martin helps even with that...

Second:  Richardson is more of a vocal malcontent than even Brown...he
has fought with management wherever he's gone, complaining about playing
time and such...

Third: Richardson  only seems to be effective in extended minutes.  His
stats off the bench are pitiful.  (Then again, the same could be said
for Brown).

Fourth: As hard as it amy be to believe, Richardson may have less trade
value than Brown...  Gaining the one year of cap relief doesn't help too
much if we resign all of the rookies after their second year..and I'm
not sure if we could move Richardson before that...

Overall, it seems like a longshot to improve the team at all.  I'd do it
if Dee was casuing problems here, but he seems to be quiet...I'd worry
about Richardson being more trouble than Dee, with little gain.

As for Minor for Peeler...no!

Oeeler is another perenial malcontent, who has had flashes of brilliance
surrounded by long bouts of injuries, conflicts with coaches, the law,
and shooting slumps.  Not only is his contract longer than Minor's, I
fear it may be much larger.  Although they look comparable this year,
remember, Minor's contract was front loaded instead of increasing by the
maximum each year as is the NBA norm...one of the good things ML Carr
did was avoid signing increasing contracts...so that their value against
the salary cap increased over time.  I haven't seen Peeler's contract,
but there is a good chance it has at least the 20% raises of the current
CBA.  That means that it will probably be at least 3 million by the year
2001, while Minor's will still be only 2.16 million.  Stay away from
it!!  Minor is playing hard, and has generally been a positive on the
court.  He has overtaken Dee as the back-up shooting guard, and has been
very productive in limited minutes...I don't think he's worth the money,
but he has been valuable in games such as the Vancouver game.  I would
definately reject the Peeler trade, and I'd have doubts about the
Richardson trade...

Adam