Re: teams status next season and beyond

>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:29:17 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
>From: "Craig G. Marinho" <marinho@bc.edu>
>Subject: Re: teams status next season and beyond
>
>I don't think bench players are as important in the Pitino system.
>He's such a great teacher, motivator, etc. that if you have these 3
>plus a bonafide PF and C, I think we could pull off a championsip
>even with average players in the 6, 7, 8, 9... spots

Hey, I'm a big Pitino man, but outside of the etc., I haven't seen him
teach or motivate much lately. Walker's lost, McCarty is missing, Knight
never was. Where's the teaching? Billups didn't learn anything about the
point position. I don't think Pitino has anything to do with Mercer's
performance because he's a natural. Taking kids out of high school and
playing and motivating them for a few games is one thing, but dealing with
the pros and an 82 game schedule is another. We have a long way to go to
just get into the top 10. The Knicks were stupid, if they kept Pitino and
gave him what he wanted, they would have won a title. Walker is our
franchise at the moment, but it's a weak one. We just have to be patient
for a few drafts and trading seasons and see what develops.