Re: Antoine's $$$

>I think he has the potential to lead us back to the promised land, but I
>feel Falk may try to get him greater than market value based off of his
>stats, which I think would be a mistake.  His field goal percentage is poor,
>as is his free throw percentage.  He has an extremely high turnover rate to
>accompany his skills.  There is a flip side to every coin.  He practically
>disappeared in the Portland game until it was virtually decided.  I like
>Toine but I am also realistic enough to say that he's got alot of things to
>prove as a pro.
>
>Cecil

Cecil, let me site an example. Rasheed Wallace. I think a lot of people on
this list would love to have him. Love his game. You'd be right. He has a
very good game. Great shooting percentage. Good rebounder. Young. Just
signed an extension for over 10 mill a year, I think. Maybe around 12-13
mill. Here's the problem. I don't know how many times this year he's had
games going 5 out of 9 with about 6 rebounds and 1 assist. Against Seattle
he had 2 rebounds. If he had Walker's game against Seattle, believe me,
everyone around here would've been going nuts over his six assists. He
rarely comes up big in the clutch, taking over, making plays at the end of
close games because he doesn't have to. The difference between Wallace and
Walker is that Wallace can afford to disappear in entire games, essentially
take nights off, and the team isn't going to get destroyed. Wallace is
young. He's going to be an exceptional player. Everyone understands that.
They paid him for his future, his potential. The Bullets didn't know where
his head was. He was supposed to be a "head case." It's sometimes called
needing to grow up. It happens to everyone. The Bullets lose. If gm's don't
want to pay on potential, stop drafting kids before they graduate. Walker's
game is better than Wallace's. His potential is greater. His market value
is higher. You pay on his talents, and hope for the rest. How much $$$ do
you think that "ball hog" Kobe Bryant's going to get? He'll get tons, and
he deserves every cent.

Paul M.