Re: Antoine's $$$

-----Original Message-----
From: damekmo@teleport.com <damekmo@teleport.com>
To: celtics@igtc.COM <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Tuesday, February 24, 1998 1:01 AM
Subject: Antoine's $$$

>How many assists did Walker have in Seattle?
6.

>You know, since the All Star break.Walker's game has gone into a >funk.
No question about it!!

>He's had some really good games. Lately, during this road trip,
>he's had some mediocre, and less than mediocre ones. He's played >enormous
minutes because without him, the team truly sucks.
I call the 3/15 shooting exhibition in Sacramento, less than mediocre, as I
do the 2/6 from the line against Seattle.  He's played alot of minutes
because we are pathetically thin in the frontcourt right now.

>He has all the skills.

I agree.  But he hasn't yet been able to put the total package together with
any consistency with a few exceptions.  He certainly has the individual
ability to put it together.  It's a question of is he willing to make the
sacrifice of putting aside his personal numbers and producing what the team
needs from him in order to win.  And of course we don't know what advice
David Falk is whispering in his ear.

>He's extremely competitive.
So what?

He had how many assists in Seattle?
6 assists.  What about it?

>I think it's safe to say that until Anderson arrived, at any time on the
>court Walker was the team's best scorer, rebounder and passer. He >made the
All Star team for a reason. He's a kid. He wants to be a >star, no doubt
about it. He wants to excel.
And he should be admired for all of his talent and drive.  But when he
harnesses that ability to be used to the benefit of the C's, he will truly
be excellent.  One thing he is not yet, and that is a shooter.  His ungodly
woeful shooting percentage indicates that may not realize it.

>As Jerry West has often said, never give up on talented young >players.
They need to grow up, just like any other kid.

Except for Chauncey, I guess, right?

>Nobody knows what Walker's head will be like in five years.
I can't honestly say that I have a clue to where his head is right now.  If
you know, please enlighten me.

>He is the future of the Celtics. If they low-ball this kid, and he leaves,
>this franchise is in the tank for another decade.
>
>Paul M.
I think he has the potential to lead us back to the promised land, but I
feel Falk may try to get him greater than market value based off of his
stats, which I think would be a mistake.  His field goal percentage is poor,
as is his free throw percentage.  He has an extremely high turnover rate to
accompany his skills.  There is a flip side to every coin.  He practically
disappeared in the Portland game until it was virtually decided.  I like
Toine but I am also realistic enough to say that he's got alot of things to
prove as a pro.

Cecil