Re: FRANCHISE PLAYERS

At 01:25 PM 12/22/98 -0500, Dorine wrote:
>I don't know what the term "franchise player" is even doing in the
negotiations.  That's a relatively new thing - probably dating since the
days of Bird & Magic.  For me it has no place in the negotiations.  If a
player is good enough, and lasts long enough, he would get more money
anyway, but not the huge sums some of them expect.

The term franchise player only entered into things as part of the hard cap
talk, because franchise player designations are part of the structure in the
major sport that currently operates under a hard cap -football. Don't see
what's so out of line in merely talking about it, myself, even if I don't
favor the idea. Expectations of money have nothing to do with the
terminology being used.

Er, note to Dorine and others -I'd really appreciate it if you'd turn off
the HTML when posting. For those of us not using a browser for mail or with
an old version, it just makes the message MUCH longer by tacking on a
duplicate, marked up version at the end. Not that big a problem on
relatively short messages like this one, but on some others...

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net