At 07:21 8/28/98 , Greg Odegaard wrote:
>Peter thank you for the feedback.  I find it somewhat curious that I come
>up with a player related item, one that could inspire a fair amount of
>feedback on subjects most of us would find a refreshing change from the
>normal yada yada of the last 2 months, and nothing save for your input.
>Either most have left the list in some way, are on vacation, or don't
>really care.
>
>Here's for seeing Elden in Celtic green, when and if they suit up again
>soon.  I might miss Travis and another unheralded teammate.

>Now back to your Celtic related broadcast talk, insignificant in light of
>the lack of broadcasts anticipated during the balance of the millenium.

>> lose him, would give them a vet at the point and a damned good outside
>> shooter, which would complement Shaq.

I didn't respond because I don't have anything good to say about EC. When
his name was brought up in trade talks over the past season I and others
questioned his intensity as well as inconsistency. He was all over the
place but the majority of the time when I observed him his head just never
seemed to be  in the game. I watched lesser talented players outplay him
because of their intensity and determination. I also at times was blown
away by his play when his head was removed from his nether regions! Then
just minutes later like in the old cartoons you could see the little
birdies flying in circles around his head as he listened to their cheerful
tweeting!!  I hate to bring up his salary but I find it hard to want a
player making major presidents on our beloved green who isn't in the game
ALL the time. Lastly regarding the postings of ours on  Celts broadcast
rights. I have a twofold interest in them as I program Sports for many
Sports bars here in the Desert Southwest and own 4 dishes of my own (2
C/KUsystems 1 Dish Network and 1 DirectTV) and haven't missed seeing at
least 2 quarters of a Celtics televised game since 1980. I am Medically
retired from the military and spend alot of time at my casa in the desert
watching my Hometown teams to help keep my sanity!! When I first got my
dish(1980) everything was free and easy to see but over the years as
Scrambling took hold it became harder and very expensive to keep up with my
teams. Let me state I don't mind paying a fair rate for the pleasure of
getting the games but a disturbing trend has arisen where the local
broadcast rights are being bought by non Satellite stations. When the Red
Sox left UPN38 for Ch.68 a few years back us transplanted New Englanders
were deprived of approximately 80 games!! Around 20 games were viewable by
using opponents TV networks. That is alot of games that we are willing to
pay for but just are no longer available. This is stupid for a few
reasons, UPN 38 is on Satellite and cable in the States and Canada which
gives the Green visibility far outside of New England which translates to
big merchandise sales in non Celtic markets, large turnouts at opponents
arenas and a continuing Celtic mystique around the country! Here in Phoenix
both John McLeod and Cotton Fitzsimmons were always bitching about all the
fans at the arena wearing Green and Celtics gear! They don't live in Boston
anymore and should be rooting for the Suns! When any Boston team is playing
on the tube at my local Sports Bar/Watering Hole McDuffys at least  20 -30
people are in attendance with higher numbers on big game days and the
playoffs. A couple of years ago the Bruins were in the playoffs and they
were selling shirts via 800 # during the games. Well to make a merchandise
point by game #5 I looked around the bar and 16 people had on one of the
shirts on!! Remember the only way to buy the shirts was by watching the
games on TV38!  And we were in Tempe, Az. It is no wonder they sold out of
the shirts each playoff season.I buy Media Guides and other merchandise
because of the ease that the ads on the games afford me. I must admit it is
just as easy if not easier to order stuff via the Internet but not everyone
uses computers. Well sorry for prattling on but it is a subject close to my
heart and CELTIC PRIDE!!! Later.Mike