Re: ANTOINE'S CONTRACT

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim Malo <kmalo19@idt.net>
To: celtics@igtc.COM <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Monday, April 27, 1998 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: ANTOINE'S CONTRACT

>Maybe what isn't clear is that I am not anti-Walker. What I am is immensely
>frustrated when I see what he could be, with he himself the most likely
>party to keep him from getting there. I'm not saying he won't, just a lot
>less sure that he will. And maybe there's an even greater irony here -maybe
>I see Walker as potentially more than you do and that's why I'm so
>frustrated with what I see now and you are not.
>
>-Kim

Kim, I understand exactly where you are coming from regarding Toine.  He has
indisputable talent which I fear makes him think that he's somewhat
indestructible, as well as immune from criticism.  As we all know on this
list, NOBODY IS IMMUNE FROM CRITICISM.

I have wondered aloud before in this very forum, whether winning as a team
is Toine's motivation, as opposed to getting his stats.   In my eyes, he has
the potential to be the leading assists among forwards, ala LJB.  His
passing is purely spectacular at times, which leaves us wondering why he
doesn't do it more regularly.  I realize that DQ and Travis weren't the best
finishers in the league this year, but I hope he doesn't neglect this key
aspect of his game over the summer.  The times he forced shots in the face
of double and even triple teams, also are  undeniable.  And it's at those
times when you wonder if Toine understands that this is, above all, a team
game.

I know he is capable, but time will tell if he'll reach his true potential.
One thing he must consider though, is would he have the same amount of
creative freedom that he enjoyed this year, with another team?  Would he
scream in the face of new teammates when they didn't handle a pass to his
liking, or didn't get him the ball in his sweet spot.  He has something at
risk as well if he elects to move on.

Cecil