Mishra wrote:

> I don't agree with you and I am not quoting stats Walker has shown in two
> years that
> a) He can rebound with the best there is in NBA
> b) He can dribble and pass
> c) He can play all three positions in the front court
> d) He can shoot (with average, given support from his backcourt) and is not
> afraid to take the game winning jumper.
> e) He has shown versatility, exceptional durability and exceptional stamina
> <I don't know many 6'9"who will survive 42 min of Pitino style run and gun
> system>.

All of these things are true, without a doubt.  I don't question Walker's
"franchise-level" talent.

But why don't you mention his propensity to pick up technicals?  His
inability/refusal (pick one) to pass the ball to open teammates on the
fast break?  What about his poor shot selection?  What about his defensive
lapses (Mark Strickland)?  What about quotes like, "It's OK that my
defense wasn't great tonight, because I carried the team on offense",
after close Celtic losses?

If I knew somehow that Walker was *never* going to improve in these areas,
I would trade him without a second thought.  If I knew that he absolutely
was going to improve, then I would sign him without a second thought.

> The question is are these mistakes so gross that they completely
> outweigh the talent and the potential on display?

That is *NOT* the question. Not at all.  If Walker's mistakes were "so
gross" that they "completely outweigh" his talent, then someone like Bruce
Bowen would be a better player, which is clearly not the case.

The real question is whether his mistakes limit him just enough to prevent
him from being a franchise player on a *successful* team.  Also, whether
those mistakes will go away as he matures.

> Isn't Rick Pitino also at
> fault for not reprimanding his protege, and benching him for re-occurences.

To an extent.  The problem Pitino faces, though, is that Walker *knows* he
is going to get the big bucks from somewhere.  So, why should he put up
with bull**** from Rick Pitino when he can just leave and get his money
someplace else?  Pitino need to try to teach Walker without antagonizing
him.

> Is it not possible that he feels that the mistakesare correctible and are
> just a matter of team chemistry that's one of the reasons why he hasn't
> taken the afore-mentioned step?

It's very possible Pitino feels that way about Walker.  And, no one is
more qualified than Pitino to make that judgment about Walker.  If Pitino
wants Walker signed, Walker should be signed.

> I don't agree with you here again. The questions about signing him have to
> do with Gaston's obvious reluctance to spend money.

He wasn't reluctant to part with $50 million for a coach.  How are we as
fans to know the difference between his comments made for public
consumption, and his actual intentions with regard to his money.

Eventually, we will find out.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu