RE: Walker on ESPN

Ronnie Fields was one of the greatest high school basketball players in
Chicago history.  He has unbelievable quickness, speed, and leaping
ability; his vertical is likely in the 40s.  He is fairly well-built,
strong, and has a variety of moves to the basket which usually result in
spectacular dunks.  Being such a leaper allows him to snag many rebounds,
though his technique isn't great.  He's more like 6-3, but plays big.  For
all his quickness, he isn't a great on-ball defender and is often late
rotating on d.  This may be due to a lackadaisical defensive attitude,
tho, rather than lack of court sense.  Fields is a fabulous finisher and
excellent shot-blocker for his size.  The main (basketball) concern was
his outside shot, though he worked hard on it late junior and senior year,
and had games where he was raining in 3's.
The original plan was to go to DePaul and start the revitalization of that
program (which instead was delayed until next year - watch out!), but
didn't acheive the needed 17 on the ACT.  Supposedly he missed by a point,
but I hear from a friend he actually got a 12 (just a rumor).  He played
for a year in the CBA, without much PT or success, and I'm not sure where
he is now (perhaps overseas).  In my (biased) opinion, he would be an
interesting pick-up with definite possiblity for future contributions.
He's no Voshon Lenard, tho, who was an excellent shooter with a fine
career at Minnesota and a productive year in the CBA already under his
belt when he was picked up.  He'd certainly provide some highlight reel
footage for the fans.  I don't know much about him personally, so I have
no idea how he'd handle being a small spoke on an NBA team rather than the
MAN.  Supposedly he dealt with it ok at Rapid City(?).
peace,
davide

[SMTP:david.moskowitz@yale.edu]