Re: Larry Bird personality

> My observation is that coaches
> who are very competitive as players, and then become coaches are not
> successful.  Once Russel retired, he never prospered as a coach, also,
> Chris Ford is a good example.  On the other hand Heinshon became a good
> coach, as has Cownens.  But, Dave spent a long time coaching and working
> as an administrator before he went into a head coaching job.

ALL players are competive.  Russell won two NBA titles as a coach (of course
his best player was some guy named Russell).  Riley was a competive player as
swas Lenny Wilkens.  Dave Cowens was as competive as they get and I think he
should have won the COY award this year.  Compare his team to Miami and tell me
he didn't outcoach Riley.  I am surprised you use Ford as an example of someone
without success.  IMO, his Celtic teams always performed above what one
would expect given the talent.  When he had good (Not great) teams, he won
divisiontitles.  When he had mediocre talent, he played close to .500 ball.
Phil Jackson was an extremely competive player, but he is a laid back coach.

Of course, there were great players who were not successful as coaches, Magic
(but did he really coach long enough to know?), Willis Reed, Wes Unseld...
It takes a certain talent to coach.  The ability to shoot the three or to dunk
doesn't always mean you have that skill.  But you NEED to be competive to be
successful.  All good players at least have that.

Fred