Re: Larry Bird personality

Fred Fahey wrote:
<snip> I am surprised you use Ford as an example of someone
> without success.  IMO, his Celtic teams always performed above what one
> would expect given the talent.  When he had good (Not great) teams, he won
> divisiontitles.  When he had mediocre talent, he played close to .500 ball.
<snip>

Well for Ford my point was that he did not get along with his players.
He seemed to be in competition with them.  I agree that he did well with
the talent that he had.  I also believe that if Radja could play the
pick and roll, that we would have beaten Orlando back three playoffs
ago.  On the other hand, leading within the last minute on defense, he
should have had Xavier in to play defense, as even Doug Collins was
pointing out that Radja could not play the pick and roll and that
Orlando was going to run it every time down the stretch.

He was too competitive with X and that caused him to make decisions on
the wrong basis.  I just wonder if Larry can get beyond that.  I think
that Jackson, KC Jones, etc were able to do that.  Some can not.

- --

Peace,

Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net